iPhone 5 and Optus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaylorWright619, Sep 12, 2012.

1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am definitely getting the new iPhone 5. I currently have the iPhone 4 and my 2 year contract has now expired.

What I would like to do is buy the new iPhone 5 outright, then take it to the Optus store and put it on a 'Bring your Own' contract (either a month to month contract or just 1 year). I would also like to have my old number kept.

Just wondering if this is all possible?

Thanks for your help,
    Taylor

2. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

One more issue, my current iPhone is in my dads name. Is this all still possible if he just comes to the Optus shop etc. with me? Cheers

3. MrEcho macrumors newbie

Hi, yes you can keep your number, if you are on a different network you will need to ring them (or your dad) and get a PUK number, then you can register you number with Optus. If you are an Optus customer you will need to get a new Nano (not micro) sim card from Optus and register you new sim.

Optus have not released their plans or prices for iPhone 5 yet some I'm not sure if you can get the nano sim on a month by month contract or prepaid.

I'm looking at doing something similar, Kogan are offering $100 off the price of an unlocked iPhone 5 and are taking preorders from today. Think I might wait a few weeks when the review and iOS 6 bugs are ironed out.

Hope this helps,

E

4. Davieis macrumors regular

Don't get it from Kogan...

Yes it's $80 cheaper but the warranty is only valid in the country which the phone was purchased. You'll be 3 weeks without a phone while Kogan get it fixed/replaced whereas you can have it swapped over at the Genius Bar immediately if you buy it here.