iPhone 5 and Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth & wifi

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I've never done this before however since my hotel Internet is out I thought I might give it a try.

I first of all tried to pair my iPhone 5 and my 2009 MBP and it finds my iPhone however it just won't connect. My iPhone puts up a message saying "Johnny's MacBook Pro" is not supported.

Can anyone give me some ideas to try? I would try and connect via the USB cable however I left it at the shop.

Is my MBP possibly to old to connect on another?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I've never done this before however since my hotel Internet is out I thought I might give it a try.

I first of all tried to pair my iPhone 5 and my 2009 MBP and it finds my iPhone however it just won't connect. My iPhone puts up a message saying "Johnny's MacBook Pro" is not supported.

Can anyone give me some ideas to try? I would try and connect via the USB cable however I left it at the shop.

Is my MBP possibly to old to connect on another?
Do you need to use Bluetooth? Can't you just connect to the hotspot?

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Oh ok I see...I can connect via Bluetooth or Wifi. However I tried the Bluetooth and it won't pair.

So I just now tried wifi and my phone is not showing up on the MBP's available wifi connections.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Try turning hotspot off and back on again. I've noticed my devices can only "see" the iPhone for a limited amount of time. Then try again, you'll be looking for a network with the same name as your iPhone.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Try turning hotspot off and back on again. I've noticed my devices can only "see" the iPhone for a limited amount of time. Then try again, you'll be looking for a network with the same name as your iPhone.

Thanks I did that it FINALLY showed up in my wifi connection list.