iPhone 5 and switching to a new provider

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Aug 16, 2012.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

When the iPhone 5 is released I'm going to likely be switching to a new provider; either Sprint or Verizon depending on who offers the better deal.

This will only be my second iPhone, so I ask those who have more experience: Has it been possible to preorder a new iPhone from a different provider than the one you are currently on, and have them port the number over at the same time? Or is it more convoluted?

Say I move to Sprint. Can I just preorder the Sprint iPhone and put in my number to be ported?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not hating, but did you even search what you are looking for? There are currently threads on the front page with the exact same question...not even 4 threads down.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, someone asked this exact same question yesterday...

4. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

zorinlynx, I'm in the same boat as you and would like to know the answer to this question as well.

I have AT&T at the moment and may switch to either Verizon or Sprint for the unlimited data. I'm guessing you can just preorder the iPhone 5 with the new carrier you want then either speak to an agent for that carrier or go into that particular carrier's store and they'll be able to port your number over and set you up.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to read the prior two posts.