Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
So, I received an email from Apple today saying that I needed to call them, that my upgrade process had failed. Strange, my iPhone 5 worked all day yesterday. There was an issue at activation, but I called AT&T and they fixed it in give mins. Well, I called the number, and it turns out that Apple couldn't activate my grandfathered unlimited data plan because its not a valid option in their database. Well, they sent me to AT&T to get it fixed. AT&T couldn't fix it there either, and they had shut off my Internet. So, now they had to open a case and send it to escalations to get me my unlimited data back, which by their estimates can take up to two weeks. In the meantime, they put on a 3GB plan so I can have Internet. What a bunch of crap! I'll be watching this like a hawk and make sure my unlimited data gets back on there!! Anyone else have this happen to them??

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's an odd one. I had no issues migrating my unlimited data plan first to my 4S (from a BlackBerrry) last year, and then to my iPhone 5. I ordered the 5 directly from Apple. Be sure to keep on them, and contact AT&T Monday to make sure you get your unlimited data back.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Ouch. Good job being proactive and continue to be that way with this. Give AT&T and inch and they'll take a mile

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
That's an odd one. I had no issues migrating my unlimited data plan first to my 4S (from a BlackBerrry) last year, and then to my iPhone 5. I ordered the 5 directly from Apple. Be sure to keep on them, and contact AT&T Monday to make sure you get your unlimited data back.

It was totally weird. Everything worked yesterday. The activation problem I had yesterday was due to the new IMIE not synching to the AT&T side. The AT&T rep fixed it immediately, and then read me how that since I'm on the grandfathered unlimited data plan that I would not be able to tether and FaceTime over cellular. I said ok, I'd much rather have the data. Se said, well, a lot of people have been calling in very upset about it. So to see today that they removed my data plan was a huge shocker! No way I'm letting them pull a fast one on me.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
So, I received an email from Apple today saying that I needed to call them, that my upgrade process had failed. Strange, my iPhone 5 worked all day yesterday. ...

Was this a valid issue and call, or phishing?

After all, your phone was working, right?

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Was this a valid issue and call, or phishing?

After all, your phone was working, right?

It was a valid email and not phishing. My phone (after the email) was NOT working properly. They had turned data OFF and I'm going through a MAJOR hassel to get Unlimited data added back onto my account.

kilucky9

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
this happened to me as well.. i just noticed it today when i went to go pay my bill they never contacted me about it....when i went online and saw that i did not have unlimited data on my plan i called and they gave me a case number and said it would take 3-7 days to fix.. i asked them how this happen they had no reason as to why... but he told me it happened on the 22nd which is weird cause i activated my phone on the 21st and never had any contact with at&t.. kinda glad its not just me this is a big mess up on them. and also glad to see they handled it the same for both of us.... my husband also has unlimited data and his switched over fine no problems..hope this is fixed quickly the CSR i spoke with seemed very confident that they will switch it back. lets hope so!

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
This has not happened to me, but I did find it odd when going through ordering my phone on Apple's site this time that it didn't offer me a data plan at all, where as when I got to the text plan they didn't have the $5 200 text plan that I have had for as long as I can remember. So I chose "pay per text plan". I should have switched to this when Imessage came out, as I maybe get 3 to 4 texts per month not on Imessage. So when it changed to pay as you go, I will be saving money.

That said, I would stay on top of them every day about this, and not wait the "two weeks" it takes for them to put you to the top of the list. I would call them so much that they would do it just to get me off the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.