iPhone 5 - Apple care + question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billybob123, May 27, 2013.

1. billybob123 macrumors newbie

I dropped my phone and cracked my screen last night. Thankfully I bought Apple Care + with the phone. So all I need to pay is 50 bucks and they give me a brand new phone correct? Also, do I need to bring in the box and earpods as well? Might take me a while to find those. :/

Thanks in advance.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

You only need to bring the phone, and often they will give you a refurbished one as a replacement. There has been news they are going to be doing more fixes for devices, so if they are doing that in your location then you will simply get a replaced screen. That is not common yet.
    The new method has advantages because if your device is otherwise working fine then you aren't trading it for one with unknown problems, but a lot of people do like just getting a refurbished replacement.

3. Demonté macrumors newbie

Right, pay $50 and you get a new iPhone. No, you don't take the box and ear pods, because you don't get a new box with the charger/box/earpods back. You just get a phone.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You are NEVER trading your device for one with unknown problems. Stop spreading misinformation.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

There are lots of posts here about people who have problems with their replacement devices. Due to the sheer number of them that's bound to happen. If they are able to fix your phone then you avoid that issue completely.

6. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I can attest to that. My first iphone 4 had proximity sensor problems after a few months. I went to the Apple store and they exchanged it for a refurbished unit. As I walked out the door, I made a phone call but it became very apparent that the microphone was defective as I could not be heard on the other side. Made another call and the same thing.

I turned around and went back into the store and received another phone there and then.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Strange logic. How do you think faulty refurbs come up? Repairs aren't always a proper fix.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just because people here post about problems with their replacement devices, does not mean it is the same for the majority of the people. MacRumors is home to a very small number compared to actually Apple users.

I've had a half a dozen replacement devices over the years and the replacements are always better than the 'new in box' because of the fact they are not refurbished but remanufactured and heavily tested before shipped out.

I much rather get a remanufactured device than having my current device opened up and fixed. Leaves room for too much error.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Not sure. I've seen lots of posts about it, and had it happen once myself where the phone they mailed to me had a row of dead pixels. It's no big deal if there is an issue you can get Apple to replace it again.

I was really just trying to put a positive spin on Apple's new policy, because it sounds like that is the direction they were headed even if it is not common now. I'm sure there are advantages to doing it either way.

10. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Ah, I'm sorry mate. I read your post as you claiming they literally give you a phone with a random issue.

While refurbs actually tend to have a lesser turnover rate than brand new devices, I can obviously admit they will run into issues sometimes. Cheers.