iPhone 5 + Apple TV for work at home

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by junhong, Sep 30, 2012.

1. junhong, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

junhong macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I've been pondering about the possibility of using just iPhone 5, Apple TV and Apple Wireless keyboard for work at home. I wanted to experiment with my crazy idea of One Device Only :)

The idea was that I have a powerful phone with me on the go, and when I get home, I can use Apple TV to get more screen real estate for apps(like Pages, Safari), and Apple Wireless Keyboard for faster typing. You may notice its similar to the phone dock/transformer thing Acer/Asus had.

I used to own a MBP(gave to sis when she started college), and still have my iPad 1 with me. And the work at home job that I'm looking for mostly involve internet research and typing, fairly light stuff.

So off with my the burning question in my heart:

1) Does iPhone 5 enable 1080p Airplay Mirroring to Apple TV? I have a 1080p 24 inch monitor at home. And iPhone 5's screen Aspect Ration is 16:9, so hopefully no black bars anywhere

2) Does the Apple Wireless Keyboard work with iPhone 5?

3) Has anyone ever tried this setup? Just asking

This is just to find out if the components will perform the function I wanted. If it fail I will definitely get the New iPad, or just a Macbook Air. Just thought its fun to entertain this One Device Only idea :)

Thanks for reading :) Have an awesome Sunday ;)

p/s: I bought my music, movie, tv show on iTunes, so iCloud is my friend :D

2. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

To my knowledge, no matter the resolution of your TV, the iPhones display is simply scaled up aka no increase in resolution.

You will see an exact copy of what you can see on your iPhone screen...only bigger aka no additional screen real estate.

3. junhong thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there

Thanks for your reply :)

So basically if I have Pages opened I'll just be looking at bigger font and so forth?

Guess the only benefit is watching movie and video with ATV then :)

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Correct

5. junhong thread starter macrumors newbie

So the blowup apply to all apps, including Safari as well?

6. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

In my experience, yes. The only exception MIGHT be video playback but that would be harder to confirm.