iPhone 5 AppleCare+: can it be refunded after a few months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GP20, Oct 20, 2012.

1. GP20 macrumors member

Tomorrow is my last day to purchase AppleCare+ for my white iPhone 5. I've read that some people have been able to get partial /pro-rated refunds a year after they've owned their iPhones when they resell them or upgrade to new iPhones.

Now my question is - can I get pro-rated refunds after only a few months of purchasing applecare+? The reason being that I still prefer a black iPhone 5 over a white. I got a black on launch day, badly scuffed out of box, and exchanged it for a flawless white the next day. I will have another black iPhone 5 delivered in November, and if that one still shows up all scuffed / scratched, I'll be convinced to just forget about black altogether.

Now if the new black shows up in good condition and has no sign of flawed anodized coating, I will want to keep that one and re-sell the white one I now have.

2. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Yes you can get it refunded. All you do is call AppleCare to request a refund. I did it for my 4s.

3. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. May I ask how long after you purchased AppleCare+ did you request the refund? Did they charge you anything extra (processing fee, etc)?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you probably can but I can't say I recommend it. What if something happens to your phone like the second after you get rid of applecare+ lol

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It'd be really unscrupulous to get a refund on AppleCare after you sell the phone.

And AppleCare can be transferred within the first 30 days of purchased between two of the same kind of devices.

A refund is prorated for time and work done. You may find you don't get an refund at all, but your AppleCare has already been canceled.

6. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

I requested the refund when I ordered my iphone 5. They prorated the amount left and did not charge any processing fees.