Iphone 5 arrived with no charge on battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LFSimon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Has anyone else received a new phone that had no charge in the battery?

Reason I ask is: Received two iPhones today. One showed almost a full charge the other one was so low that it wouldn't turn on until after it was plugged in to charge for a 5 min or so.

It's fully charged now but I wanted to wait and see how long it will hold the charge before activating it as I don't want to deactivate old phone and then have the new one need replacement. So I'm wondering if my problem is unique - if so it might indicate a defective phone.

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Well, when I received a launch day iPhone 4 it also had no charge on the battery. And guess what? It was bad and needed replacement. I hope that's not true with yours, but you won't know until you try.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Get a grip. It doesn't mean your phone has an issue, it means your phone came without a charge.

4. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Really? That's what Apple tried to tell me with my iPhone 4. It would lose 50% battery life overnight even when powered off. He's asking for advice not smart alec responses,

6. iMatt. macrumors 6502

Mine had close to 90%. Don't think I've ever had a new phone with anything higher!

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

They probably put the phone in the box in an "On" state a couple weeks ago.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well loosing 50% battery overnight is different from my phone came without a charge now isn't it?

I gave him an accurate response, no charge on the battery doesn't mean anything other than it came with no charge.

Now after the battery is broken in if he has issues that is another matter entirely.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

If you read my first post, mine was totally dead , like his, and Apple had to charge it before it would even activate. I hope the OP's is not messed up, but mine was.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My point is that use the phone and break the battery in before thinking it has an issue.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I agree with your assessment. I stand corrected.

12. 2IS macrumors 68030

That still doesn't mean his phone is bad just because yours was. He still needs to charge it and find out if there's an issue or it simply got shipped without a charge.

13. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

14. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

You have to remember, one might have been made 2 months ago and been sat doing nothing, the other one could have only just been made.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothing to be concerned with. Charge it & enjoy!

I've had every iPhone, never follow any battery do's or dont's & always get great battery life.

16. LFSimon thread starter macrumors regular

LFSimon

I was merely trying to determine if this was common or not.

So far the responses indicate only one case of a phone arriving totally uncharged like mine and that one ended up defective.

My only objective here was to see if this happened to others with a good phone. Since it hasn't my plan will be to test out the battery for a day before deactivating the old phone - which I will now do. That's all.

17. SonnyDickson macrumors member

18. LFSimon thread starter macrumors regular

LFSimon

Follow Up

After fully charging the phone yesterday afternoon and evening it held a full charge all night. So I now feel safe in activating it and deactivating our old phone. I guess the discharged battery was just a fluke.

There were some really cool explicit factory test photos on the phone, however I can't show them to you as doing the restore from backup routine wiped them. Sorry :rolleyes:

19. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

My white 32gb AT&T came with an 80% charge, and the same in black came with a 59% charge. Both week 37
    Hope this helps you.

20. shortcrust macrumors 6502