iPhone 5 AT&T: Add a line, 3 way swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhiner, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jhiner macrumors regular

I want to upgrade to the iPhone 5, and I am considering the following (convoluted) scenario:

Currently I'm on a family plan with two lines:
    Line A (number 555-1234): iPhone 4S (1 yr remaining on contract)
    Line B (number 555-7890): some other phone - contract up in Nov 2012

I am planning on getting a new line for the iPhone 5:
    Line C (dummy: number 555-5678): new 2 year contract (with data plan, added to my family plan)

I'd like to do the following after I get the new iPhone 5:

Switch the iPhone 5 to Line A -> 555-1234
    Switch the iPhone4S to Line C, but also switch the number from Line B (555-7890)
    Finally, with Line B, we will have the old crappy phone with the number from new Line C (555-5678)

So the final configuration is:

Family plan
    Line A (555-1234): iPhone 5 with data plan
    Line B (555-5678): Crappy phone
    Line C (555-7890): iPhone 4S with data plan

Finally, after November, I want to cancel Line B so that I have two lines once more:
    Line A (555-1234): iPhone 5 with data plan
    Line C (555-7890): iPhone 4S with data plan

Is this allowed? Is this doable? Is this feasible? Is this crazy?

Thanks

2. JadedRaverLA, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

JadedRaverLA macrumors member

I get what you're trying for, and most of it is no problem. Switching phones is easy. Ending service on line B in November is no problem.

Where you run into issues is with the phone number transfer. The lines, contracts, etc. all are based on the phone number. I suppose you could ask them to "swap" phone numbers, but I really don't think there's a way to do that. They would tell. You to just swap SIM cards (or come into the store and reassign the phones).

You can certainly call 611 and ask if you can switch contract terms between lines B & C, so that the new line C has the contract ending in November, while line B has the contract (and phone, phone number, etc) that will continue.

I have no earthly idea if they can/will accommodate such a request. I used to work at AT&T (in-store) and I did a lot of weird maneuvers to get people upgrades, but I never dealt with one quite like this.

/ One other thought: if you can wait till November to put line Bs number on line C, you could possibly "port cancel" line B when the contract is up by porting it to line C. You might bring down AT&Ts entire system in the process, though.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I did not read it all.. actually I read it but got lost.

Contracts are tied to the phone number/line. Not to the device. Getting a new device with discount starts out tied to the line. But after doing that, they do not care what device is on the line. You just are tied to service for 2 years on that line.

So, after you do upgrades, etc.... you can change out devices all day long. Heck you can even get an I-5 and sell it to somebody and switch back to a simple dumbphone. That dumbphone will have a 2 year obligation though. Again, not really the phone, but the line.

4. jhiner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I'm just going to wait until Nov when Line B is ready for an upgrade then swap after the upgrade. ****** it.

Not worth this hassle.

5. rlpaolucci macrumors member

rlpaolucci

I actually plan on doing somewhat of the same thing, however, I've got four lines on my plan. One of my family members (grandmother) will NEVER use her update. I called AT&T and made sure that it was okay for me to use her update. They said that was fine. When I just go order it, I would have to add a data plan to it, & when I get the phone to go into the store to get the numbers switched & to drop that data plan that I added. I'm only dropping that data plan because I was grandfathered in for the unlimited text & data with my phone number. So kind of the same thing with you...everything should work out! :)