iPhone 5, AT&T, LTE, Loss of Service after disconnecting on calls

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by JWSandi, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JWSandi macrumors regular

Searched, didnt find anything... mostly a jumbled mess of threads...

Brand new iPhone 5, updated iOS, AT&T, running LTE in a major 4G/LTE coverage market.

When I make or receive a call, then disconnect regardless if I hang up or the other party hangs up first. My signal strength will drop to one bar for a few seconds, then display "NO SERVICE", then my signal will come back to full strength.

This whole process takes place over 15 to 30 seconds.

In my area I've always had nearly full signal strength where I live, work and play.

Don't have any issues when surfing the net via LTE, just when I make or receive calls...

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Hmm possibly it could be your SIM card?

Try a hard reset, hold the lock and home button until phone shuts off

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

LTE and voice not supported.

Known issue since before end users had them in hand.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

4. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I don't think this applies to the OP's situation. On AT&T, data stays connected while on a call to their HSPA/HSPA+ network, so after a call the data should remain on HSPA until LTE decides to pick back up, the iPhone should not lose complete service for a time period for the switchover.

OP: I'm on Verizon and had this issue on my 4S. After a call, it would instantly say "No Service" and after a few seconds it would reconnect. I had my phone replaced in warranty for home button issues and the replacement handset did not have the issue, so I would try you SIM card first by getting a replacement and if still as issue, I would go and see a genius.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

How do you figure. What you describe in first paragraph sounds just like the OP...

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The "I don't think this applies" was directed towards your comment saying he was experience a known issue because voice and LTE are not supported. He shouldn't be losing service, at least not how he describes it, he should only be losing LTE service, not complete service. The second paragraph was directed at the OP to let him know I've experienced a like issue and how I remedied it.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

He says his signal will drop for a few seconds, then return to full LTE strength. That's normal. Switching from HSPA Voice network back to LTE network.

8. avanpelt macrumors 68020

If you're seeing this in several areas in a metro area and not just concentrated in one specific area, I'd try a hard reset (hold power + home for five seconds), then reset network settings, then try replacing the SIM, then try replacing the phone -- in that order.

With the iPhone 5 on Verizon, the phone drops down to either Verizon's 1X or EVDO network (the equivalent of AT&T's Edge or 3G networks) when I'm on a call; but within 1-2 seconds of the time the call ends, the phone hops back on the LTE network. I never see "No Service" when it's switching between networks after a call. In fact, the only time I see "No Service" is when I first power on the phone. It will say "Searching..." for about 15 seconds, then it says "No Service" for about 1-2 seconds, and then it says "Verizon LTE".

The long and short of it is that what you're experiencing is abnormal behavior.

----------

You are 100% correct based on my experience with the iPhone 5.

9. JWSandi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input.

I'll keep an eye on it, and may take the phone to the GB, cant hurt anything...

:)

10. lansa macrumors member

Finally someone with same issue as me!

I have had the exact same issue and could not find anything about it until I came across this thread. This has been going on with my phone for the last 2 months probably. iPhone 5 with AT&T..... I get off a call, immediately notice my bars disappear and sometimes No Service come up, then takes a few seconds to go full signal again. I have not been able to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

11. Zcev5454 macrumors member

I had this problem a while ago and was told by apple to have the SIM card replaced. I got a new one at ATT and have only had it happen once in the last 2 months, opposed to 3-4 times a day.

12. Bahroo macrumors 68000

13. JWSandi, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

JWSandi thread starter macrumors regular

Will give it a try. :)

UPDATE: installed 6.1.2 and I'm still have the same issues... :(

14. techbul macrumors newbie

Go to an Apple store and have them look at it.

15. BallsMcGee macrumors newbie

I have this exact same issue on a brand new iPhone 5 (actually the third one because my first two had scratches). I'm on Bell in Vancouver, Canada.

Sometimes when I disconnect the call it'll drop to 1 bar, say no service, then jump back into service. Coverage isn't an issue and this whole process takes about a second. Most of the time it just flips back from HSPA+ to LTE with no issues.

Since we're on different networks in different countries, I'm wondering if it's a software glitch. I really don't want to replace this stupid phone all over again.

Edit: Forgot to mention I completely erased and reset all settings on my phone when I first got it, restored from backup, then reset my network settings just to be safe.

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

it happens when the cell tower has issues i had the same issue when my country started LTE service for the i5 for a few weeks then it got fixed

it used to do that to me but as time went on it seems like it fixed itself which made me believe it was on their end

now after a call (call went on 3G) the phone stayed on 3G for 6 o 7 secs then went back to LTE in no point I went to no service