iPhone 5 Availability - AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac.fanatic, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

I did a little bit of research and found out that Apple did the same with the previous iPhones where they had more demands than supplies available on launch day. I'm in the market for an iPhone 5 but I am willing to wait till it becomes available without having to upgrade since I will be doing a cross upgrade using a basic phone's upgrade eligibility (in my family plan) to get the iPhone for myself. Judging from the past years, how soon do up I think the iPhone 5 will be a available for customers for walk in orders through the carriers, specifically AT&T? I guess history does repeat itself, huh?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

This has been, and is still being heavily discussed in other threads.
    The consensus is mid-October.

You can try your luck anywhere right now. For example, I can go over to my local RadioShack and I know for a fact they have a black 16GB Verizon i5.

But as for when it'll be easy and shooting-fish-in-a-barrel? Mid-October.

3. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

My local AT&T store has had black ones in stock all weekend. It's just too bad I'm looking for a white.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

We can't answer this for you. Call your local stores and find out for yourself.

5. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you link me to the other threads that have been discussing this? I have yet to come across any.

----------

I called a few stores around me. All of them were sold out.

6. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems like AT&T stock moved from 21-28 days to 14-21 days to ship. I was told that it would come in faster if I preordered in-store instead of online. Can anyone confirm this?

7. natwister2003, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

natwister2003 macrumors regular

I'll let you know when I get my iPhone 5 32GB black because I ordered in-store on 9/28, and I was given a week to a 1 and a half weeks as an estimate on when it would arrive at the AT&T store (I have a PO box so it's being shipped there and I'm picking it up there). I'm wondering on when it'll get out of backorder.'

EDIT: Unless you mean those who ordered before 9/21.

8. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

What area do you live in? I haven't ordered yet, but I plan to go to my local AT&T store next weekend and place an order for a cross upgrade using another line in my family plan, but for myself since I am not eligible for an upgrade yet. I want the 16gb black. Let me know how early you get your phone!

9. natwister2003 macrumors regular

I live in the Fresno county, CA where there is literally not a single iPhone 5 in stock anywhere and the 10PM trick doesn't work. I had to order it in-store to save the trouble of going to stores and see if they have any. I was going to wait outside AT&T stores on launch day but my account was past due because my sister hadn't paid the bill yet, so I had to wait until she paid that. I'll let you know in this thread when the phone goes off backorder :D

10. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Aweosome! I also live in a large populated city so it's hard to find one here as well. I'll definitely make sure to check this thread to see how your experience goes since you just ordered two days ago.

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Is it a necessity to have to go through AT&T to do a cross upgrade using another line?

I was thinking of doing the 10PM reservation trick through a somewhat local Apple store (an hour away), and just getting the upgrade on the line I was going to use, but I'm not sure if they'll do the device swap for me or not. Or if they'll let me leave with it unactivated to go to an AT&T so they can do it. Hrmmm

12. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I believe it is not necessary to have to do the cross upgrading through an AT&T. I'm getting mixed answers from people when I ask the question, but I believe you can order the phone under the line it is eligible for and they will switch it out for you. Keep in mind, however, if you, do this at the Apple Store, you may have to go to an AT&T store to get a new SIM card for the line whose upgrade you used. Good Luck! :)

13. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

i got mine at an AT&T store on launch day. Store employees told people waiting in line that they received extremely limited stock of phones, somewhere around 58 that day. Also no AT&T store carried a black 64gb at the time.

It's a waiting game at this point.. you're best luck is to try the Apple store as they tend to receive daily shipments of iPhones... Good luck

14. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered mine yesterday through AT&T. The perso who did my order said anywhere from 24 hours to 2-3 weeks. Yesterday, my shipment status was "processing". About an hour ago, that stays changed to "backordered" and it said that the item was out of stuck. Now the shipment status says "processing". So I'm confused on what the urtext status is, if they have them in stock or not? 16 GB black.