Iphone 5 battery 50% overnight (idle)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoukasVyntra, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LoukasVyntra macrumors newbie

Hello
    i live in europe and bought my iphone 5 brand new off ebay verizon model 16gb.
    i'm experiencing extremely fast battery drainz0r.
    I did restore a backup to it using itunes from my old iphone 4 and i understand that there are several issues floating around with i5's battery but mine drains 1% in like every 3 minutes. And it does it while i'm sleeping and the iphone's idle.

It came on iOS 6.0.1 and i don't want to clean restore or do the reset all settings trick just yet cause musclenerd said not to update to 6.0.2 and i kinda want my untethered when it comes.

Obv turning wifi/gps/loc serv and stuff off is not an acceptable solution we needz the stuff

Can the battery of an iphone be faulty? I can't return it and we don't have an official apple store where i am.

Suggestions please?
    Thank you

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Get more sleep, 150 min isn't enough for anyone.

3. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

It's certainly possible that you have a faulty battery. How long ago did you purchase the iPhone online? Did the seller mention any battery problems associated with the phone before you bought it? Before your iOS upgrade/restore, were you experiencing any problems with battery drainage?

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

It is rare but yes, it is possible to have a faulty battery. Your best chance right now would probably be to call apple and ask if they can run a diagonostic test to see if your battery is faulty. If they say the battery is faulty or if they refuse to service your phone since you're in a different country from where the phone was originally purchased, you will probably have to go to a third party to replace the battery.

Edit: I understand your concern for not wanting to upgrade to iOS 6.0.2. But at this point, your phone is not exactly usable so it doesn't hurt to do a clean restore to iOS 6.0.2 and see if it fixes the problem. You can try to clean restore to iOS 6.0.1 and see if apple is still signing for that version

5. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

@mobilehaathi
    Ok i miscalculated 1% every 10 min. :)
    But still isn't that too much?

@snowleopard osx it came sealed i didn't ask him how long he had it before he put it up on sale.
    The thing is i didn't check it much i almost immediately restored

@darricksailo i'm already itching to clean restore to 6.0.2 yes

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

1% drain every 10 minutes sounds great. You'll be lucky to even get 1 hr every 10% of battery life, in my opinion

However, losing 50% battery overnight is not normal. Try closing all applications before going to sleep at night and see if that helps your battery drain overnight. Double click the home button, hold the icons until it wiggles, click the red minus sign to close the apps

Edit: oops, misinterpreted your reply. I lose around 5-10% battery overnight if that'll help

7. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

i do close them every night. And by 1% every 10 mins i mean when idle. That's 6% every hour so 60% if i sleep a good 10 hours. Is that norm?

Does anyone know if apple is still signing 6.0.1?

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Make sure you turn off your time zone to set automatically. It makes no sense for your phone to use GPS to check your time zone when you practically don't travel/commute far enough to make a difference

9. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

1% every 10 minutes = 1000 minutes/60 ~ 16.6 hours of iPad use -- that's about standard, especially if your\ brightness is set to 100% and you're doing things on your iPad that consume a lot of battery.

1% every 3 minutes doesn't sound good, though.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services

I personally turn off everything, it doesn't look like I need any of them. But you'll be fine with turning off only diagnostic and usage, genius for apps, location based iAds, and setting time zone

Turning off everything for there changed my battery drain overnight from 10% to 5-7%

11. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

@darricksailo Will do thanks! how does apple run the diagnostic test you mentioned? Can it be done while i'm abroad?

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

He's saying 1% every 10 minutes while his iPhone is on standby

----------

Yes, they would send you a link in a SMS text for you to send over diagonostic information. They would then run a program or something to see if the battery is working fine

At least, that's how it appeared to work for me the last time I was on the phone with them

13. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm talking about an iphone 5
    and thats 50% in 8.3 hours while idle not while in use
    my brightness is set to auto and 45%

----------

I'm worried they may not be able to send a txt internationally but i'll skype call them and ask thank you for the suggestions

Update: I did a network settings reset and left if idle to no avail, drained 3% in about 40mins and still going fast

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There's no guarantee they'll (Apple USA) provide service to you, but I wish you good luck!

Edit: how is your battery drain WHILE in usage?

Edit 2: did you try my suggestions on turning off the system services under location services?

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My phone drained about 30-40% overnight the other day when I forgot to plug it in. I tend to accumulate emails overnight, and each receipt turns my screen on thus draining battery. Inevitably I have other tasks that eat away that I don't think of at the moment.

Is it possible you have a similar set up? Do you have apps that update all night, grab data, turn on the screen, etc?

16. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

@darricksailo battery drain while in usage is much better than when idling isn't this bizarre? I mean it's still going faster than my iphone 4 did but not as fast like when it's idling

I found out apple is still signing 6.0.1 or at least did for sure until last night so i m going to try and clean restore it to 6.0.1 again. i have the A1429 model do i download the iPhone5,2_6.0.1_10A525_Restore.ipsw (CDMA) or (GSM) iPhone5,1_6.0.1_10A525_Restore.ipsw firm?

@mobilehaathi i do, gmail, facebook messenger, twitter, mail every 30 mins (only badges) and banners/badges on ebay app. Still the activity overnight is not that much to justify that much drainage. I think only banners turn the screen on while it's asleep.

I think i m gonna go with the restore

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I believe the A1429 model is CDMA model so you would download the iOS 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 for CDMA

18. LoukasVyntra thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: After a quick clean restore to 6.0.1, which apple is still signing, battery problems seem to have gone away. 2 hours into standby mode and % still on 100. :) Thanks y'all