iPhone 5 battery help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Littleman, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

Hi,

I have an iPhone 5. A few weeks ago, it ran out of battery and would not recharge. Simply dead.

I bought a new battery and replaced it. It booted up fine and I charged it to 100%.

It charged ok so thought the problem had been sorted. Next day the battery died and would not charge again. Nothing, dead iPhone.

I again replaced the battery and exactly the same happened. It worked, went down to 0% and won't boot again. I really don't want to buy another battery for it to happen again.

Is it the battery? It seems not? Any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Have you used a wonky charger? There has been some signs that a bad charger burns out the tiny power control chip in the iPhone. A bad chip is my first guess if the battery is good.

The official battery costs about $80 but if the current replacements were actually good then the official replacement may not help. Have you tried cleaning out the port with a toothpick? Might help.

Aside from taking it into Apple for a free repair estimate, I don't know what else you can try.

3. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It's probably a hardware problem.
    After replacing it as much as you did, I don't think it's the battery that's faulty.

Apple is the place to go.

4. Littleman thread starter macrumors regular

Littleman

Went in and Apple have said £209 for a replacement, won't even look at it, out of warranty :(

----------

Used various chargers.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Ouch. Personally I'm glad I went for applecare for my iPhone. It was $99 (£79.00 to you). It came in handy for a bad battery that literally died after a year and afterwards a bad power button that gave me a new phone. I don't know if I should be happy for the warranty or annoyed at the terrible parts used.

I would wait until the new iPhones are released this month before doing anything. There will be an announcement on the 9th. The prices of the iPhone 5 will drop afterwards or the newer models may entice you to part with some cash.

Better luck next time. :(