iPhone 5......battery lasts one day !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noupf, Jul 23, 2013.

1. noupf macrumors member

Ok, so i have never had a battery problem with any of my iPhone's ( 3g, 4 and 5 ) until now. Yesterday, I charged my iPhone 5 to 100% and by the end of the next day, the battery is damn near drained.

Last night, i plugged it in with about 5% left, charged to 100% by around 11pm. I would say that I use the phone about as much as the average user through out the day. Couple of short phone calls. Some texting here and there. a few web sessions (2-5 minutes) and the occasional facebook usage. Its now 11pm and I have 2% left. I do have location services on, brightness is on the lower end of the scale and its almost a full drain within 24 hours.......

Sounds like i have a battery issue doesn't it?

Whats apples exchange policy in the first year?

2. c1phr macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware people actually expected more than that out of smartphone batteries...

That's pretty much inline with the performance that I was getting on iOS6. Keep in mind that LTE uses a bit more power too, so I turned that off since there isn't any LTE service in my area yet.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Your usage sounds normal. It's about what I get. On days of light use I may go to bed with somewhere around 50%, but using the phone like you describe I get about the same.

Coming from a Windows Mobile background too, this is normal battery usage for me. I've never had a smartphone I didn't have to plug in by the end of the day.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

While it might be slightly below average it's still within the norm for an iPhone given the timing and usage. What do you get listed for your usage and standby times right before you are plugging in to recharge?

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I can drain the battery in a few hours playing a 3d game. It really depends on your usage.

6. bp1000 macrumors 65816

My usage clocks in between 8 and 10 hours. Better than my 4s.

I checked it last night at 1% and it was 9hrs 20min.

Obviously no recharging and quite limited music use too.

I even have poor signal at home - 2 bars, which is where I've spent the last 2 days.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

A whole day?

That sounds amazing. Mine lasts about seven hours on average.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

How is this an issue?

By the title, I thought this thread was applauding iPhone 5's battery life.

9. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

how is the battery lasting until 11pm bad? thats really good.

10. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

It's probably just me, but for the usage the OP describes I wouldn't expect the battery to be down to 2% at the end of the day. Now, if there are more than a few web sessions or if the occasional facebook usage lasts a long time, then sure.

OP, try quitting the facebook app when you're done. It could be the culprit. What other apps are open in the background? Any navigation or Skype-type apps?

11. noupf thread starter macrumors member

wow.....im shocked that this phones battery is being labeled as "normal" after basically going dead within 24 hours with the uage i have described.

As asked above, no skype or nav apps running. I'm not even in an LTE area. I could have sworn that i got about 2 days out of my phone up until recently. I'll pay more attention to my usage and see how long the battery is taking to drain.

Today i left it on charge over night, took it off at 10am and right now ( midninght in NY ) its at 30% left. I didnt make a single phone call today. A bunch of texts here and there, but nothing major and facebook for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times. I think i was on my browser once for about 5 minutes.

This is normal?

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

So what are the usage and standby numbers that you see at different battery percentages (and in particular when the battery is low right before you plug in to recharge)?

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There are way too many variables...push email, checking for messages by waking the phone, apps that use locations services, etc. etc...and your battery life is, as mentioned, very close to average. Thus, obsessing over it and trying to figure out the "problem" when you're so close to having no problem, is a waste of time and effort.

Charge your phone overnight. Bring a charging cable to work/school and top it off if need be. Voila, non-problem solved.

14. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

15. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

god, what do people expect out of their batteries?

also, charge your god damned phone EVERY night. No matter what.

16. henryonapple macrumors 6502

mine is at about 20% by the end of the work day...has anyone had any luck exchanging for a refurb at an apple store?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Refurb for what defect/issue?

18. It Is James macrumors member

It's a smartphone. It connects to various servers all day, fetches emails, actively looks for other Bluetooth devices to connect to (if you have that enabled).

Even without use, the battery is going to drain. That's what smartphones do.

You could always keep an extra charger handy, or use something like a Mophie Juice Pack to keep it charged longer.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Lasting almost a full 24 hours is excellent. These days I have to charge mine by around 3-4pm but then again I'm always on it.

Lasting at least the full day is ideal battery life for a smartphone since most will charge it overnight anyway to 100%.

20. noupf, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

noupf thread starter macrumors member

Woke up this morning......7 hours of standby while I slept ( 1230-8am ) and I'm down to 14%.

I know these things are mini computers, but for the little I use the phone each day, 24 hours worth of battery just seems a little off. Oh well

21. sppunk macrumors member

You're complaining? I'm getting no more than 4 hours of usage and 13 hours of standby, with notifications off, GPS off, push off and closing apps completely after use.

22. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Facebook sucks battery like there's no tomorrow. Also the phone gets really warm whilst using Facebook

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have said...its a smart phone, your battery will drain much faster than a regular phone however you can improve performance by turning off things you may not need like Bluetooth.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

so, any chance you'll actually post some usage and standby numbers from the phone in order to have more tangible information in relation to this?

25. takeshi74, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

This means nothing. Most people think that their usage is "average". Usage and coverage vary and both impact battery life.

Impossible to say. Have them test it if you suspect it's hardware. Or do some troubleshooting to rule out software.

Normal varies. You have to establish your baseline.