iPhone 5 battery life as a music player

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Hey guys, bare with me because I'm getting ready to leave on a long (two month) trip to Europe and haven't had the time to put my phone through the proper tests...so I need some help!

I'm bringing my phone with me to Europe but will keep the cellular service off so I don't roam.

With the cell service and data disabled and the display dimly lit, do you think I can get a solid five hours of music before the battery dies?

I'm new to the iphone and haven't even put my music on it yet, so I honestly have no clue how much the music eats the battery.

I want to leave my ipod nano at home; one less gadget to deal with.

Will the iphone 5 battery last for those long plane and train rides, if everything else is disabled?

Thanks!

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Hey guys, bare with me because I'm getting ready to leave on a long (two month) trip to Europe and haven't had the time to put my phone through the proper tests...so I need some help!

I'm bringing my phone with me to Europe but will keep the cellular service off so I don't roam.

With the cell service and data disabled and the display dimly lit, do you think I can get a solid five hours of music before the battery dies?

I'm new to the iphone and haven't even put my music on it yet, so I honestly have no clue how much the music eats the battery.

I want to leave my ipod nano at home; one less gadget to deal with.

Will the iphone 5 battery last for those long plane and train rides, if everything else is disabled?

Thanks!

Well my iphone 5 currently is at 30% battery life with 6.5 hrs of moderate use (wifi browsing, gps, movie, some gaming). With no radios on you should probably be able to get every bit of that 40 hours that apple claims.

Last edited:

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
If all you are going to use it for is music playback you should easily get a full day of use before having to charge it again (24+ hours).

ar93

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
LA
it should i used mine last night for music and it was at 20% battery when i woke up in the morning it was at 2% and it was still playing music. i went to sleep at 11pm and woke up at 8am...