iPhone 5 - Battery life excellent with wifi off, sucks on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric-PTEK, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2009
    My i5 would not last the day on a single charge. I could sit and watch it drop at times.

I'd go from 100 percent to 65 percent by lunch with hardly any usage at all.

I turned off my wifi and now the phone will hardly lose any charge overnight at all. I went 36 hours before it hit 12 percent with decent usage and only turning on the wifi to tether for 15-20 minutes a few times.

I even have ask to join networks turned off.

Anyone else with poor battery life seen a difference with wifi?

I figured it was going to do more with LTE but that does not seem to be the case.

I also find tethering pretty much useless, I'm constantly having to restart the phone, or shut off/turn on the wireless and reconnect to get anywhere for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.
  2. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    Spent most of yesterday on wifi at home with LTE on and I was getting just over 8h usage (all with screen on) and 18h standby
  3. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2009
    Look at your usage. If your standby and usage time are the same, something's wrong. I've had that happen from time to time. Only way I could resolve was to restore as new. Haven't had it on the 5 yet, but the 4 did it probably once every 2-3 months for no discernible reason.
  4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2008
    Wifi is obviously a drain on battery but your case seems extreme. Something isn't right. I have mine on all the time and get solid battery life.

Also, remember: if you're turning it off all your data is coming via the tower. Unless you have unlimited data you might run into overages.