Iphone 5 Battery Life without LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tech324, Sep 28, 2012.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

Can you turn off LTE on the Iphone 5? If so, do you get better battery life using 3G than the Iphone 4S?

2. llustig macrumors newbie

3. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Yes in setting you can turn it off

4. apprunner macrumors regular

Yes but not duh. It's a legit question because the answer is it depends.
    In very crowded settings, the 3G is overtaxed on AT&T so it is constantly pinging due to overcapacity especially when you are browsing. LTE in this situation still flies cause it's relatively unused. If you get great signals for both, 3G is marginally better on battery but not worth turning off the LtE. If you get BAD LTE reception, then you should turn it off (really the only reason to turn it off). Hope this helps.

5. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since you can turn off LTE, I guess I am wondering if someone who has an iphone 4s and an iphone 5 both on 3G if the iphone 5 lasts a lot longer? I know the battery isn't much higher in capacity but is the A6 way more efficient? I have an iphone 4s, only have 3g in my area, but I would love better battery life. I am wondering if I get an iphone 5 if I would get a lot better battery life?

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I have a 4s and a 5. Honestly, LTE aside, the battery on the 5 is about on par with the 4s for me. Some have reported better, some worse but I would guess most people leave LTE on so in terms of your queston, their resuls are irrelevant.

If you're looking for much better battery life, you're not going to find it in the 5. You may be able to eek a few extra standby hours or something out of the 5 if you tweak a few settings but that could also apply to the 4s as well.

7. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed a big difference with LTE turned off. Runs about the same.

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

My iPhone 5 gets much better battery life than my 4S.
    I don't have LTE in my area.

9. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Way, WAY better battery life than my 4s, I get about 3 more hours usage per charge.

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

That's exactly what I get on average.
    Very Very happy with my new iPhone 5!