iPhone 5 battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slayerz96, Sep 27, 2012.

1. slayerz96 macrumors member

I am interested in getting an iPhone 5. However the battery issue sorta bugs me. Many people on the web are complaining about horrendous battery life. Plus iLounge tested the battery and it was much lower than Apple's claims.

For those of you who already have an iPhone 5, is the battery life really that bad? Is it as good/better than iPhone 4S?

Thanks

Using an iP4S now btw. Battery life isn't that bad, drops about 10% for 1h of wifi browsing. 3G saps a lot of juice though.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Idk what everyone's problem is. Currently at 12%. 25 hours standby and 8 hours of usage for me.

3. slayerz96 thread starter macrumors member

That's actually very good o_O

My iPhone 4S clocks 2h 40 min now 63%.

4. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Mine is at least as good as my 4s was, maybe slightly better.

5. droeun macrumors member

Are you on WIFI or LTE?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

LTE most of the day. Wifi for 5 hours or so.

7. jpcapili macrumors newbie

I'm dropping 3% every 5 minutes of use.. and that's just be fixing the settings.. not even using the internet.

If I take this to Apple store, can I use the battery as an excuse to have it replaced?

8. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

My battery seems to go down faster than with my iPhone 4 which I never considered to have battery issues unless I forgot to charge it overnight.

This phone drains quicker. I turn LTE off on Verizon and it often goes into 2G mode (showing the circle) and not 3G most of the time. I'm not sure why, but it seems I don't get as good of 3G reception with the phone as my iPhone 4.

My phone was 100% this morning at 6am. I did the usual email checking and some texts and read a few websites all on 3G. When I left the house around 9 I think it was on 85% and now at 11:45 it is on 69% with moderate use during the past 2 hours. Location services is off and screen brightness is turned down.

9. Steven. macrumors regular

I left the house with 100% battery this morning, by about 14:00 with very little usage (texting/downloading newspaper/Facebook) I was at 30%, by the time I arrived home at 16:00 I was at 9%.

I can be on Facebook and visibly see the percentage go down by 3-4% every few minutes. Also, a few days ago I went to bed with about 35% and woke up to find the iPhone completely dead.

10. wellok macrumors 6502

Mine is a major improvement over my 4S, using it the same way.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Mine's quite weird.....it drains reasonably quickly, but when it gets to 1% it seems to last ages.....maybe about 20 mins, even playing games.......i re-calibrated it......waited till death and fully charged....but same thing happened again......seems very strange! I just want a realistic % displayed!

12. slayerz96 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a noticeable difference in battery life between LTE and 3G? Apple claimed 8h for both, but I'm quite skeptical.

13. bzavala macrumors member

I set up my iphone 5 as new, and my battery is consistent with 8+ hours of use, both WIFI and LTE. Way better than my 4S. It also helped that I calibrated the battery for 2 days.

My phone's been unplugged for a about 2.5 hrs and it is at 98%.

14. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I was at 8-9 hours usage, and 25 standby with 24% battery left last night

I don't disable location services, LTE or notifications. I have 1 push email, 4 hourly fetch, wifi at the house, 90% brightness.

If it matters, I restored from backup

15. isprocket macrumors newbie

I have a difficult time understanding why Apple made the 5 thinner. Instead of thinner they could have stuffed in more battery. Has anyone ever complained the 4-4s was too thick? Have we ever heard of battery issues before? A truly bigger battery would be a welcomed update and then maybe this post would be irrelevant. Thoughts?

16. slayerz96 thread starter macrumors member

I know some fandroids love bitching about how thick and heavy the iPhone 4/S is compared to the competition.

I don't really bother about the thickness, but I do care about the weight. I've tried the 5, and the weight is very nice. Much lighter.

So far the battery seems very good, even on LTE. Now I wonder how iLounge got those figures.

17. JamesM macrumors regular

Mine seems a lot better than my 4S

BT, 3 push email accounts, 3G, 45% brightness

Battery 1%
    Usage 7 hours
    Standby 1 day 3 hours

18. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I tested this yesterday by turning off LTE and for my purposes, it didn't make a difference. I'm in a strong LTE area both at work and at home, but I also have WiFi at both locations, so I wondered if turning off LTE would help extend my WiFi time. Didn't make a difference at all. And I noticed roughly the same cellular drain whether on LTE or 4G (i.e. on a per % basis)

19. bryann9182 macrumors regular

Yesterday at school I got 6.5 hours usage and 14 hours total off the charger and I was down to 7% when I plugged back in

This is lower than one should expect because I often have very poor service in several of the buildings that I am in during the day, and reception generally isn't that good on my campus. It lasted me a full day with pretty poor service for most of my morning/afternoon so I'm happy

20. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

24% here on 6:09 usage and 29hrs of standby. The battery is a beast for me. It is noon here (central) and the last time my phone was plugged in was 6am yesterday.

21. gouda272 macrumors regular

i'm almost getting to 6hrs usage time with 14 hrs standby time before i get to 1%. i'm some M-Cell when i'm home, LTE on the road with some wifi at certain places.

22. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

23. slayerz96 thread starter macrumors member

Did you use LTE or anything?

My 4S just hit 2.5 hours. 3G on since start. 59%
    Yeah, 3G is a real sucker.

24. jspring0033 macrumors newbie

I'm sitting at 73% and I last took it off the charger at 930 this morning.

25. dksram macrumors member

Go to Location Services>System Services and turn off diagnostic & usage ,genius for apps, location based iAds and setting time zone. You won't use that unless you travel and if you do just manually turn it on.
    Big increase in battery life