iPhone 5 battery question - % way off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blueline29, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Hi all! I've checked out the other battery threads and can't seem to find one that's exhibiting similar behavior as mine is right now. Here are the basics--I'm not a new iPhone user--had every model since the 3GS, so I know about battery care. My launch day 5 was jailbroken but isn't anymore. I restored and then updated to iOS 7 last week on launch day. Before that, I thought perhaps the jailbreak had done something to mess with the battery calibration (though it'd never happened before, and all of my iPhones have been jailbroken), but the erratic behavior continues.

Just now, my phone was down to 6% battery, so I connected it to a power source. Less than 30 seconds later, I glanced at it and it was at 43%. I know--it appears that the calibration is off. However, recalibrating has had absolutely no effect. I've tried it several times over the last few months. There are also times when it will rapidly drop to, say, 12% or so, and then hang there for an hour or more of heavy use (I watched it once when I was trying to run it to 0 to recalibrate it).

Other times, the battery life just seems to be *******. Yesterday morning, I took the phone off of the charger (it was at 100%), and then used it normally--a little Facebook, email, played Candy Crush for about 10 minutes (I know that's a hog), and did some other random stuff. One hour and one minute of usage later, it was at 50%. Again, may just be an issue of the calibration being off, but I've never had a battery I wasn't able to calibrate.

I'm assuming my 5 is out of warranty, being a launch day phone, but I'm half-tempted to take it to Apple to see if they can exchange it for a functional phone since my 5S doesn't appear to be arriving anytime in the foreseeable future ;) . Any advice in anything else I might try? TIA!!

2. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Mine has acted the same way. I have seen it go from 30% down to 7% in a blink of an eye. It has shut down at 7% a couple of times, and when it was at 9% this morning and I plugged it into the auto charger it went up to 42% immediately.

:confused:

3. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

This just happened to me on my iPhone five and it ended up being a bad battery

4. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

great... and out of warranty. :(

5. Blueline29 thread starter macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks for the responses, you all. I was wondering if it was just me having this issue. Very weird. I might just try running it up to Apple to see if they'll give me a break and replace it.

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

my iP5 battery was acting weird prior to updating to iOS7. go from 20% to 6-7% in a snap, plug in and shoot straight to 20 something or whatever.

updated my iP5 to iOS7 and did a setup as new, not from a backup and it seems to have fixed it for me. this was my battery usage the other day, even yesterday was just as good. this time it didn't die at 6-7% like before, I was finally able to go all the way down to 1% for a while.

[​IMG]

7. wessellk macrumors newbie

New phone

I had the same issue. After talking to Apple customer service, they determined it was a faulty battery and are sending me a new phone via their Expedited Replacement service for $29. My phone had a pretty large scratch in the screen, so I opted for this option instead of free repair. Nice deal.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

I have had the same quirk happen twice to me since updating the 5 to ios7. Battery was at 55%, rebooted phone and it dropped to 32%. I have rebooted phone twice, and this quirk has happened twice, at least a 20% drop.