iPhone 5 battery replacement, saving $10?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sppunk, Jul 29, 2013.

1. sppunk macrumors member

Long story short - my iPhone battery is FUBARd but Apple refuses to replace it. I get may 3.5 hrs on a charge, it shuts off anywhere between 7 and 20 percent and drops dramatically when in use (maybe 2 percentage points per minute of Safari usage).

One call to Apple said the battery failed, but subsequent Genius Bar appointment showed it didn't and they wouldn't honor the phone support ticket.

I just got off the phone with AppleCare and the lady mentioned a $69 protection plan - NOT AppleCare - that covers battery life (normal wear + tear). I can't find this online anywhere - does anyone know what she was talking about?

She specifically mentioned it'd save $10 on the battery replacement. She reiterated it isn't AppleCare, but a $69 plan. She offered to sell it over the phone and mail me a new battery, but I can't replace it myself due to my poor vision so didn't take the offer.

This is likely my last iPhone, but since the phone's usable and I can't upgrade I'm almost forced to shell out for a bettery. FYI my phone is about 4 months old and has around 100 cycles.

Any ideas of what she was speaking about?

2. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I can't believe Apple wont replace the battery or the phone. That's shocking. Sorry I can't help you with the other as I'm in the UK.
    Good luck anyway :)

3. sppunk thread starter macrumors member

It is what I have come to accept, especially from the "genius" bar in Lancaster, Pa.

Apple employee on the phone admitted the sane phone can fail and pass diagnostics with no rhyme or reason. Many are having battery issues and they aren't IMO standing behind the product. That's not the sign of a customer friendly company.

4. Partridge macrumors 6502

This sounds like the old AppleCare protection plan for iPhone which was $69, but it isn't applicable to the iPhone5.

The story really doesn't make sense, because the battery in the iPhone (all models) is definitely NOT considered to be a user-replaceable part, and there is no way in heck that Apple would every mail out an iPhone battery to an end-user to self-repair.

5. sppunk thread starter macrumors member

I too was taken aback by that offer. But I am not making it up, have a case ID and everything from my 4:45 p.m. EDT call. She said the battery clearly is malfunctioning yet passing diagnostics and she has seen it too often.

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling you didnt actually call Apple-Care...you probably called one of those poser Apple numbers mostly found via google...I cannot buy this because the person offer you $69 Protection plan (Not AppleCare) that too over the phone + mentioned you will save $10 + mentioned they will ship you battery + even told you to replace it your self

Those my friend are more than enough points to highlight you were/are about to get scammed....

Apple never recommends user to replace their own batteries, even on iPhone 4/4S which its super easy to replace on.

7. sppunk thread starter macrumors member

I am attaching two email screenshots to prove it was Apple. She ran the diagnostic - I hit submit on my phone.. I used the online diagnostic test linked here, and submitted "Contact Apple support". It was Apple's site, I was on a secure connection that blocks most all sites, use Apple for a lot of things, know the site extremely well. I received a call from Austin (512 code).

This it anything shows inept support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Go on apple chat support. Talk with them and get a replacement set up via ups store drop off. They usually replace the entire phone but in your case might just replace the battery. They're A TON more helpful on the chat than in store or on the phone.

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

Weird story. My battery was failing, and Apple replaced the battery under warranty for me. Before, my old battery had around 1000mAh of the designed 1430mAh left (which essentially means your battery won't charge beyond 70%). The new battery has a capacity of 1436mAh, even higher than the designed capacity. Battery life also is much stronger. I am happy with Apple's service.