iPhone 5 battery was working beautifully not so much anymore. Drops 30% over night

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yeezi, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Yeezi macrumors newbie

My battery has dropped 30 over night these last two nights, does anyone know a fix? Or the problem?

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sounds like you've got a rogue app running. You can start by ending all apps prior to bedtime.

3. Yeezi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already done that

4. darster Suspended

What type of signal strength do you get at home? Perhaps they are working on the tower and with weak signal you are using battery more. Have you tried rebooting phone?

5. georgia-svt macrumors newbie

Turn off all push and fetch for email see if that fixes it. Make them all manual. Mine has a problem with my exchange account.
    Jeff

6. Yeezi thread starter macrumors newbie

I get 5 bars of LTE. And by rebooting you mean completely restarting it? I have not because all my stuff is on my computer back home ( I'm away for college).

7. darster Suspended

Hold power button and home button together until it reboots. You will not lose anything, and it will clear any process that may have hung.

8. Yeezi thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know why I read that and took it as restart the phone. I just rebooted it. I hope it helps! Also, in location services in system services, what does setting time zone do?

9. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Guess its just an option giving that it shows your timezone. Nothing to remarkable I guess.

10. darster Suspended

Setting time zone allows your phone to automatically display the correct time no matter where you travel. Leave that on.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Actually, I think if you set it to off, it will always show calendars and meeting to your current time zone. If you turn it on, it shows the time of the meeting requester's time zone - which may sometimes be different from yours.

12. laz305 macrumors regular

Same here I'm not seeing any better battery life what so ever. I'm thinking maybe I should of charged it for 24hrs. before use? Maybe that would of made a difference?

13. satchow macrumors 6502

I was having this problem until I realized I had Personal Hotspot on for no reason.

14. darster Suspended

How long have you owned it? How many times have you charged it? Let it go down to 1 or 2% ad then fully charge. Do that a few times. Also turn off the things you dont need to backup on icloud. Turn all fetch and push email to manual.

15. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

also check and see if anything has changed as far as your signal goes. I noticed that at home my batt consumption is far better than my office. I have a microcell at home with full bars and in my office I usually have 2-3 bars and Im losing battery at a faster rate than I noticed over the weekend when I was at home

16. Yeezi thread starter macrumors newbie

My signal is four to five bars of LTE at home. I just don't get what could of have changed to make the battery decline so much over night with no usage and receiving one text message. How long should I leave it to charge when I charge it ?

17. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Did you try recalibrating your device? (letting it die, recharge it completely, letting it die, recharge it completely) :confused:
    Weird that a Rogue App. isn't the reason, haven't had such problem...
    Strength of the 4G signal may also be part of the explanation

ps: my bad, didn't see your previous post

18. Yeezi thread starter macrumors newbie

Recalibrating has not been done. I will do that today. Let it die completely?

19. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

I have let the batt die completely where the phone shuts off and then have left it to charge overnight. I dont know if this is neccesarily good or bad for the battery but I do know that it worked for me. I went from getting 3 hours to almost double that in usage time over the last 5 days. My brightness is at about 50%. As far as notifications go I have maybe 8-10 apps that send me notifications. I have 2 email accts that are pushed and my phone stays on vibrate thru out the day as I dont like the ringer. Did you maybe try resetting your network settings? I remember my iph4 battery had imporved dramatically by resetting the network settings and shutting off all the spotlight search

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If the phone is at home isn't it on wifi anyway and not cellular? I would guess a bad router/router setting that is causing it to connect and reconnect repeatedly throughout the night.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

That should have been something you put in your OP then. We can't offer *new* suggestions if we don't know what you've already done...

22. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

That's what I did when I first got it. Let it die completely (you can open plenty apps such as music, internet, clock and run them to speed up the process), then leave it plugged in for 4-5 hours. You then repeat this process again. Hope it'll turn out ok fot you, good luck, and PM me if you need more information :apple: