iPhone 5 battery was working beautifully not so much anymore. Drops 30% over night

Yeezi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My battery has dropped 30 over night these last two nights, does anyone know a fix? Or the problem?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
sounds like you've got a rogue app running. You can start by ending all apps prior to bedtime.

Comment

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
What type of signal strength do you get at home? Perhaps they are working on the tower and with weak signal you are using battery more. Have you tried rebooting phone?

Comment

georgia-svt

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Turn off all push and fetch for email see if that fixes it. Make them all manual. Mine has a problem with my exchange account.
Jeff

Comment

Yeezi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
What type of signal strength do you get at home? Perhaps they are working on the tower and with weak signal you are using battery more. Have you tried rebooting phone?
I get 5 bars of LTE. And by rebooting you mean completely restarting it? I have not because all my stuff is on my computer back home ( I'm away for college).

Comment

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I get 5 bars of LTE. And by rebooting you mean completely restarting it? I have not because all my stuff is on my computer back home ( I'm away for college).
Hold power button and home button together until it reboots. You will not lose anything, and it will clear any process that may have hung.

Comment

Yeezi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hold power button and home button together until it reboots. You will not lose anything, and it will clear any process that may have hung.
I don't know why I read that and took it as restart the phone. I just rebooted it. I hope it helps! Also, in location services in system services, what does setting time zone do?

Comment

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I don't know why I read that and took it as restart the phone. I just rebooted it. I hope it helps! Also, in location services in system services, what does setting time zone do?
Guess its just an option giving that it shows your timezone. Nothing to remarkable I guess.

Comment

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Setting time zone allows your phone to automatically display the correct time no matter where you travel. Leave that on.

Comment

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Setting time zone allows your phone to automatically display the correct time no matter where you travel. Leave that on.
Actually, I think if you set it to off, it will always show calendars and meeting to your current time zone. If you turn it on, it shows the time of the meeting requester's time zone - which may sometimes be different from yours.

Comment

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
Same here I'm not seeing any better battery life what so ever. I'm thinking maybe I should of charged it for 24hrs. before use? Maybe that would of made a difference?

Comment

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I was having this problem until I realized I had Personal Hotspot on for no reason.

Comment

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Same here I'm not seeing any better battery life what so ever. I'm thinking maybe I should of charged it for 24hrs. before use? Maybe that would of made a difference?
How long have you owned it? How many times have you charged it? Let it go down to 1 or 2% ad then fully charge. Do that a few times. Also turn off the things you dont need to backup on icloud. Turn all fetch and push email to manual.

Comment

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
also check and see if anything has changed as far as your signal goes. I noticed that at home my batt consumption is far better than my office. I have a microcell at home with full bars and in my office I usually have 2-3 bars and Im losing battery at a faster rate than I noticed over the weekend when I was at home

Comment

Yeezi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
also check and see if anything has changed as far as your signal goes. I noticed that at home my batt consumption is far better than my office. I have a microcell at home with full bars and in my office I usually have 2-3 bars and Im losing battery at a faster rate than I noticed over the weekend when I was at home
My signal is four to five bars of LTE at home. I just don't get what could of have changed to make the battery decline so much over night with no usage and receiving one text message. How long should I leave it to charge when I charge it ?

Comment

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Did you try recalibrating your device? (letting it die, recharge it completely, letting it die, recharge it completely) :confused:
Weird that a Rogue App. isn't the reason, haven't had such problem...
Strength of the 4G signal may also be part of the explanation

ps: my bad, didn't see your previous post

Comment

Yeezi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did you try recalibrating your device? (letting it die, recharge it completely, letting it die, recharge it completely) :confused:
Weird that a Rogue App. isn't the reason, haven't had such problem...
Strength of the 4G signal may also be part of the explanation

ps: my bad, didn't see your previous post
Recalibrating has not been done. I will do that today. Let it die completely?

Comment

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
I have let the batt die completely where the phone shuts off and then have left it to charge overnight. I dont know if this is neccesarily good or bad for the battery but I do know that it worked for me. I went from getting 3 hours to almost double that in usage time over the last 5 days. My brightness is at about 50%. As far as notifications go I have maybe 8-10 apps that send me notifications. I have 2 email accts that are pushed and my phone stays on vibrate thru out the day as I dont like the ringer. Did you maybe try resetting your network settings? I remember my iph4 battery had imporved dramatically by resetting the network settings and shutting off all the spotlight search

Comment

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If the phone is at home isn't it on wifi anyway and not cellular? I would guess a bad router/router setting that is causing it to connect and reconnect repeatedly throughout the night.

Comment

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Recalibrating has not been done. I will do that today. Let it die completely?
That's what I did when I first got it. Let it die completely (you can open plenty apps such as music, internet, clock and run them to speed up the process), then leave it plugged in for 4-5 hours. You then repeat this process again. Hope it'll turn out ok fot you, good luck, and PM me if you need more information :apple:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.