iPhone 5 battery "WHOA!"s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gravage, Sep 30, 2012.

1. gravage macrumors member

gravage

So I left my new iPhone 5 off the charger last night to test idle battery drain. My 4s would drain about 5-10% overnight, depending on notifications that came in, etc. My Samsung Galaxy S III would drain around 10-15%.

Woke up this morning and after 6 and a half hours of being idle, my iPhone 5 was still at 100%. Really? Is this real? Anyone else experiencing the same results? I have 4 e-mail accounts, including two exchange accounts and several other services connected, such as IM.

Please tell me this isn't a battery gauge glitch, because if not, it's epic.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I received my iPhone 5 and set it up at 5:00 a.m. on Friday morning and charged it. I used it all day on Friday, left it on overnight and used it all day on Saturday. Charged it with 5% when I went to bed Saturday night.

I used it off and on on Friday with email, iMessage, calls and such
    I used it extensively on Saturday during the ball games for Twitter and iMessage
    It was my normal usage pattern and the battery seems very strong

3. JesalTV Guest

Once you go through all the Location Services and other Usage drains, I've found the battery life to be really good.

But obviously some tasks cane the battery really quickly.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

My iPhone 5 drops about 15% overnight being left idle.
    If I turn off both the 3G and the LTE radios and only have it on WiFi, it drops ZERO!
    Samething happened on my 4S.
    The 3G radio is a Hog!:mad:

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Happens on my 4S. :D except I don't have that many services in the background...

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It is a hog if you have poor signal

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I actually play a lot of games on my iPhone, the battery still manages to last me an entire day.

8. jayiw macrumors regular

One of the reasons I went back to the iPhone is battery life. My Galaxy sII would die overnight. Never had that issue with an iPhone. Well I got my iPhone 5 and the battery has been phenomenal. No problem with it dying even with heavy use. I think 60 something percent is the lowest it got. Another great thing is that it charges up so fast. The GS2 would take ages to charge. Night and day really. I hear about these issues with the iPhone battery and thankfully is seems I don't have the issue unless it's that I am so used to the GS2 dying so fast that the iphone 5 seems so great with battery life.

Jay

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The iPhone 5 does everything well, and battery is no exception. Relative to other phones, the battery lasts forever.

Not to hijack the thread, but the fact is, the iPhone doesn't do a lot revolutionary at this point, but it by far the best at doing what it does.

10. ktmelvis macrumors member

You have to look at how many apps you have installed and are they doing something in the background, then if you have any free apps (and many people have tons of it), the free apps are a huge culprit of battery draw as most are supported by ads, you have to find out what the free apps are doing in the background, you can start by going through their settings and you have to read the EULA, since the app is free, the app maker wants something from you and its usually info about your habits.
    I have 3 free apps from apple a the other 20 are paid for plus standard issue , Im doing well with the battery although the battery may need some tweaking.

11. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I left my iPhone off the charger last night to see how much of a battery drain there would be overnight. Went to bed at 63%, woke up to a completely dead phone. After seeing a few battery threads where people were seeing 10+ hours of usage, I was very curious to see what I could get.

I restored as new this morning and will retest. Hopefully it was just something funny going on from the initial restore.

12. Badwolf2012 macrumors member

Fully charged iPhone 5 and iPhone 4, took them both off charge at 10:30pm and by 9am iPhone 4 was still at 100% and iPhone 5 was at 93%, crazy!

13. Brettka7 macrumors regular

I've been trying to kill this phone every day to calibrate the battery percentage. Failing every day so far. Tomorrow should change that!

14. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 battery is beast.

15. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I was dropping 8-10% on iOS6 overnight on the iPhone 4S. The 5 drops %1 overnight on 3G (No LTE here) which is way better than I expected. So far, with the exception of Facebook which seems to be a GPS hog and drain the battery, I am very happy with the battery on the 5

16. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Same here. When its idle, its one hell of a phone.

Although it tends to drain fast as hell when using it. Iam thinking of disabling some stuff and ill come with screenshots next time around.

Had 8hrs usage first drain with 1 day & 11 hours standby.

17. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

The 5 get better battery life than my 4 or 4S. For most the 5 battery will last a day for sure. :)

Some will NEVER be happy:p

18. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Just a little bit of random info, Apples claimed stanby time of 225 hours works out at about 0.5% drain per hour in standby so over 6 hours you should be losing around 3%. This of course will vary with services running, push notifications, bluetooth, cellular strength etc...