iPhone 5 Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matj101, Sep 20, 2012.

1. matj101 macrumors newbie

Hello!

This might be a really daft question, but battery wise what is the best policy when you get a new iPhone - I'm getting the 5 tomorrow and want to make sure I do everything right!

I know years ago you were always told to leave it on charge for at least a certain number of hours before you use it, and then once you do start using it to use it until the battery is completely drained before re-charging it.

Is any of this still the case or is it all nonsense now?

Cheers

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Nonsense now.

3. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

Use phone normally, charge whenever you need to. About once per month, according to Apple, let it drain completely then recharge completely. It helps calibrate the battery so your battery percentage is showing accurately.

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

First off, I'm glad to see this thread. I've been wondering the same thing. Secondly:

I have never seen on Apple's site anything that says calibrate the iPhone like you'd calibrate a MBP. Can you post a link on their site that says that so I can look into this more?

5. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Yep. This is pretty much all you need to worry about.

----------

From Apple.com:

6. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

"Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

7. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

All you need to do is follow these highly regarded steps:

1. Open iPhone up
    2. Dislodge battery
    3. Dispose of battery in an environmentally safe nature
    4. Put phone back together and enjoy!

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always with battery questions: hit the battery link on the Apple site posted above. You're thinking of battery care recommendations for NiCads and such. Your iPhone has a Li battery which should not be fully drained on a regular basis. Corroborate your research and validate your sources -- same as researching any other topic.

9. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

People continue with the lithion battery mistakes.... These batterys have NO memory they dont care that you charge it anytime BUT let it run dry and you will kill it faster !

10. frayne182 macrumors 6502

Take out the iPhone and use it the way you want. It won't affect it.

People claim you have to drain it all the way when you get it before charging and what not, but its not the case.