Iphone 5 being unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avalonjay, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Avalonjay macrumors newbie

I cant make up my mind if I want to go to Tmobile or Straightalk, when the new Iphone is release. What are my best options for getting the phone unlocked on release day?

Attached Files:

2. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

That won't be an option in the US, they usually don't sell unlocked iPhones until a month after the carrier locked ones launch.

Also, the rumor mill suggests that the new iPhone will use Nano SIMs instead of Micro SIMs. I contacted ST if they were getting Nano SIMs and I was told they do not have any information yet if or when they will carry them.

4. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

My bad, people need to state the country in these kind of threads!

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I'm planning on buying my iPhone sim-free/unlocked directly from Apple this year.

I'm hoping that if I pre-order straight away I should get it delivered on release day.

Nice sig BTW :D

6. Avalonjay thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha thanks daveishere. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth the gamble to pay full price for an ATT Iphone 5 and just wait until there is a way to unlock it.

7. Cingular macrumors regular

Nano sim is not a problem

8. KPOM macrumors G5

It may not officially be available, but if you reserve an AT&T model in the store and purchase it for full price ($649) from the Apple Store, it should be unlocked. That worked for the 4S last year. I got mine a few weeks before the official unlocked version went on sale. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to buy the no-commitment AT&T version online on Day 1 (it wasn't last year). You can buy it from AT&T for full price, but it will be locked and you'll need to call them to unlock it.
    ----------

If you buy it full price from Apple, it will be unlocked, even if it is the "AT&T" version. If you buy it full price from AT&T, it will be locked, but you'll be able to call up AT&T CS and request an unlock.