iPhone 5 Best Buy Preorders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TeenageiPhone, Sep 18, 2012.

1. TeenageiPhone macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone. First time poster here, though I've been reading unregistered for a little while. :)

I'm just wondering if anyone else preordered from Best Buy, and what information/ideas you have about how their preorders may play out this year. This is my first time preordering any phone from them. While I'm well aware last year was a fiasco for many who preordered the 4s, I picked BB because I have coupons for the store and it's just my best option financially.

Anyway, anyone on here preorder or plan on getting their phone from Best Buy? I'm curious about what their shipments will be like and want to know what you all think (I'm aware it might be rather negative... haha).

I ordered the 64GB White for Verizon. The employee there told me even if they receive fewer of that model that it might not work against me, because fewer people also order that one, so it kind of looks like a crapshoot as to whether or not BB preorders will be getting what they wish for come launch day. :p

What do you guys think?

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What do we think about what? Any replies you get will be nothing but pure speculation and may not even apply to the situation at your local Best Buy store.

You've put your order in, just learn to be patient and wait until Friday. If it comes, great. If not, it's not the end of the world if you have to wait a few extra days.

3. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

I've gotten all of my iPhones through Best Buy over the years, but this is the first year I pre-ordered. I placed my order on the 14th at around 10:30 am, and was given an appointment for Friday the 21st at 10:30 am to come and pick it up. :D

4. TeenageiPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of that; I'm merely asking what users here speculate. That's all a lot of us can do (and are doing on here already) regarding our preorders this time around, so I don't think it's unreasonable to propose we do so for another preorder method that isn't one of the stickies. I'm not too concerned about not making the first batch, though that would be quite nice. ;)

That's excellent! My store did not offer any appointments. I would be picking it up in the evening though (if mine comes on Friday), so hopefully any craziness with people lining up would have died down anyway-- it's not a very big city. :)

5. ElZeus macrumors regular

I pre-ordered when they first opened on the 14th. They did not give me an appointment but told me they would contact me. I'm going to wait in line either way on launch day because I don't trust Best Buy employee's on launch days.

I've seen them lie about inventory (fire sale touchpads when they were clearly visible through the door, just so they could get theirs first) and on the xbox 360 launch I saw 2 employees cut about 100 people in line.

If they don't have any then I'll just go 2 blocks over to the nearest apple store and get it there.

Also Best Buy should match Apple's off contract price of $849.99 for the 64gb even though their site lists it as $899.99, don't get shafted for $50.

6. 808geek macrumors member

This is my 1st time doing a pre-order through Best Buy as well. I ordered at 12:30pm on Friday and got an appointment for Saturday at 12:30pm. So hoping mine makes the 1st round of shipments. I got AT&T 32gb white.

Just out of curiosity what city is your Best Buy in? I know not all Best Buy's were doing appointments.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Last time I preordered from bestbuy they took over week to get it in.
    They called me to let me know that my phone is in. I go there ready to pick it up and they were like oh sorry. We made a mistake, yours hasnt arrived yet.
    I wanted to break everything there:eek:

8. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Oh my god, I laughed so hard when I read this man. Same thing happened to me. Got my iphone 4s literally like a week later. Best buy was so unorganized with their S*#^. Never again with best buy. I wanted to break the managers face. He didnt know what was going on. Even though I was the 2nd person in line to pre order :rolleyes:

9. 808geek macrumors member

No wonder why they didn't want to guarantee anything for a Friday pick-up even though people were pre-ordering on Friday. Actually from the moment I ordered I had a strong feeling that I would be waiting.

I would've pre-ordered with Apple but I waited to late to do a pre-order for a pick up or delivery on Friday. At 9am it was already at 2 weeks out for delivery. So I decided to give Best Buy a try.

10. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Yeah ... Hopefully you have better luck than us. You never know maybe they will do good this year around. Good luck to you !

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Would it be too late to a pre-order at Best Buy tomorrow morning?

12. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Best Buy is no longer taking preorders. That ended last Saturday.

13. omyard macrumors regular

I took a chance with Best Buy this year as well.

I had 2 phones pre-ordered via Apple.com, but I decided I wanted a bigger size on one of the phones. I'm also upgrading from a single line to a mobile share so I didn't know how that would work activating the phones at one and figured it'd be best to just do it at a store.

They seemed to handle the iPad launch well so I figured they could be equally good with the iPhone 5. Here's hoping I didn't screw up.

14. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Incorrect I was just in best buy tonight and they had a sign up to preorder with people standing in line

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Anyone know if they will have walk in sales at all?

16. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm positive they will. They did last year. I got my 4S at launch at 8 pm that night... They were crazy busy, but I got my 64 gb without a preorder..

17. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

My local Best Buy told me that they will only have walk in sales if they recieved enough phones to cover all of their preorders.

My guess is no, but there is no way of telling until maybe Thursday night once they allocate the phones in the shipment.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

Best buy may be taking preorders but when you get your phone is based on when they get it in. It could be next week or the week after.

19. southfrisco macrumors member

I used Best Buy for the iPhone 4 launch two years ago, never again. They wrote my contact phone number down wrong which I didn't find out about until I called them one day after they called the wrong number. I was number 12 on the pre-order list and did not get it until two and a half weeks after launch. What made me irate was they were selling iPhone 4 to walk ins during this period. That store mismanaged that launch.

I learned my lesson. Used Apple Store app, two minute order process and I will have the iPhone 5 shipped to my door on 9/21.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well I can be at mine first thing in the AM. But I have an iPhone 5 preordered using my sisters upgrade (who lives in a different state) from Apple due to receive Oct 5th. Am I able to pick up the one from best buy without canceling the apple preorder until after I have the phone in my hands? I don't want to cancel my order to risk the best buy purchase and find myself with no phone at all.

21. bobeo6253 macrumors newbie

When I preordered my 4s last year they told me they weren't going to have them on launch day. I got a call from them while i was at work that I wasn't able to pick up and they left a voicemail saying that my phone did arrive on time. When preordering the 5 I asked about availability on launch and they said if yours gets here we'll email you.

22. appswipe macrumors 6502

I ordered from Best Buy. They couldn't confirm but they said they opened at 8 and they had no appointments so I guess every store is different

The reason I ordered from BB is because of BestBuy benefits like long return policies, reward zone points and they offered a good trade in price (Locked in at $354 BB credit at online site but now they lowered it to $310 in store). so If they dont honor my locked in online price ill charge it to my BB card to pay it off in 2yrs and will either mail it in for $354 trade in or just do amazon trade in for $395 amazon credit.

23. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I don't see why not. Surely you don't wanna risk cancelling and having no luck getting a phone lol. I took Friday off, so I can be there a half hour before the store opens (figure I can listen to a podcast and drink some coffee to gear up). If my local Best Buy is sold out (they won't BE) I will go about 20 min up the road to a different Best Buy. I'm financing my phone with my Best Buy credit card, so a Best Buy is a MUST for me (plus, premier silver reward zone gets you extended return+more points) considering I will pay it off in a few months.

24. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

That's not a preorder list, that's a waiting list. If you "preordered" yesterday or today you're not getting a phone on Friday.

25. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah I'm a Premiere Silver member too. RZ is the only reason I'd buy the iPhone in California. I was having my iPhone shipped to IL to save 44 dollars on taxes. Cali likes to charge the unsubsidized amount of taxes on subsidized phones. So my 200 iPhone became a $255 iPhone, which is downright ridiculous. Of course RZ only gets me 5 bucks in points so it's not THAT big a deal. :(