iPhone 5 = best luxury gadget of all time? (up till now)

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
This question was brought up to me by my friend, he was asking me:

"Outside of the iPhone 5, is there any other personally interactive gadget that has been better than it?"

This got me thinking, is the iPhone the best personal interactive gadget of all time? I tried thinking of past things that were better or more impressive but fell short.

Anyone else care to shoot down this question? Or do you agree?

P.S. I can already feel one of those snooty snide remarks coming in the first few responses. Don't worry your wasting on your time on me just move on ;)

Dennis187

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
below you
The ice phone, it's a temporary phone that melts with water. As the water evaporates, you're icey smartphone goes down the drainer.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Smartphones in general are simply amazing. As far as brands are concerned, it is really starting to come down to personal preference.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348442104.223314.jpg

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Luxury???

Where did you get that from!!!

I'm going to go with the general stereotype that just because its a "apple device" its expensive thus deemed luxury? When in reality it cost as much as any other smartphone unsubsizdised excluding the 32 and 64 gb modes

MR1324

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2010
neil degrasse tyson was once asked "if you could choose one item to bring to an alien planet, what would you bring?" his answer was the iphone because it is the most most compact representation of modern culture.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Only iPhone matters. The only one. My wallet, pocket, hands, eyes and mind agree.

Best of luck to all those playing for second ...

Nintendo's Game & Watch. (Maybe) Wii. (Won't fit in my pocket, lol)

... or fourth :D

Last edited:

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
neil degrasse tyson was once asked "if you could choose one item to bring to an alien planet, what would you bring?" his answer was the iphone because it is the most most compact representation of modern culture.
That's not necessarily a positive thing...

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
At some points, McDonalds could be the most accurate representation of modern culture as a symbol of instant gratification or hurried modern life. Disposable plastic cups could do the same, representing our use and throw away cultures. Therefore, just because something is a concise representation of modern culture, doesn't necessarily make it a positive things. Maybe he meant it to be all positive, but I would expect that he means it in the context that includes some of the double meanings (positive & negative). You can't always take things at face value.

MR1324

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2010
please explain the negatives of the iphone. i can't imagine how society has gone backwards due to its existence.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I would bring an AK-47... that's a more sane option

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
please explain the negatives of the iphone. i can't imagine how society has gone backwards due to its existence.
You probably don't realize it, but you're sort of proving the case here. You can't be so caught up in the materiality of it all. There are much bigger things in play in the world today. Yet, a single item like the iPhone gets so much attention and treated as a cultural icon.

MR1324

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2010
You probably don't realize it, but you're sort of proving the case here. You can't be so caught up in the materiality of it all. There are much bigger things in play in the world today. Yet, a single item like the iPhone gets so much attention and treated as a cultural icon.
it gets treated that way not because of what it is, but what it can do.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With it's increased popularity (for a plethora of reasons), the iGovernment owes us whatever we want crowd will soon add this to their list of what they consider to be iRights. And if that does come to fruition, many of us with be more iRate with the iGovernment crowd. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
With it's increased popularity (for a plethora of reasons), the iGovernment owes us whatever we want crowd will soon add this to their list of what they consider to be iRights. And if that does come to fruition, many of us with be more iRate with the iGovernment crowd.
Really? You're kidding, right?

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

"Outside of the iPhone 5, is there any other personally interactive gadget that has been better than it?"

This got me thinking, is the iPhone the best personal interactive gadget of all time? I tried thinking of past things that were better or more impressive but fell short.

P.S. I can already feel one of those snooty snide remarks coming in the first few responses. Don't worry your wasting on your time on me just move on ;)
Atari 2600 :D

----------

Really? You're kidding, right?
It was a joke.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
with it's increased popularity (for a plethora of reasons), the igovernment owes us whatever we want crowd will soon add this to their list of what they consider to be irights. And if that does come to fruition, many of us with be more irate with the igovernment crowd.
lmao!

And yes..this and my iPhone 4 too.

ChesneyHawkes

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Steve Jobs himself said boredom.

"I'm a big believer in boredom. Boredom allows one to indulge in curiosity, out of curiosity comes everything. All the stuff is wonderful, but having nothing to do can be wonderful, too."

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

If you really think this you need to get out and enjoy life more. My snooty comment.