iPhone 5 - Black blob on camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2bFrank, Apr 16, 2013.

1. 2bFrank macrumors member

Hello,

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch and recently its showing a black blob when I try to take a photo or video, its only when I use the camera, so the screen is ok, and it must be to do with the camera lens as the blob appears on the photos. I've attached an example,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what this could be. I have restored the iPhone through iTunes and I have wiped the outside of the lens in case it was dirt, but the lens is flawless with no scratches, I cannot see any dirt inside the lens, but I have no way of looking in the phone.

Is it worth taking the phone back to a Apple Genius to see whats going on or is it a minor issue. Its just annoying when I take photos and see the blob.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like dust either on the sensor or the lens. Did you make sure the lens is clean

3. dodder92 macrumors member

I noticed a similar thing on my camera last night, just about to ring apple about it.

Attached Files:

4. 2bFrank thread starter macrumors member

Give the lens a good clean incase and its flawless, with no scratches or dust, from what I can see, the sensor doesnt seem to have any dust, but as its sealed I cannot really see.

dodder92 let me know how you get on.

5. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I had that with my launch iPhone 5 and now my brother's launch iPhone 5 has that too... Not the biggest of deals but its a guranteed free swap from the Apple store no questions asked.

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

It's an issue with the camera. Happened with a 4S of mine that I eventually got replaced. I even took the back plate off and tried to clean both the back plate lens and the actual camera, did not work. You'll need a replacement from the Apple store.

7. bjcskier macrumors member

This exact same thing happened to me beginning yesterday AM. I had 5 blobs on my screen.

I walked into an Apple store and they apologized and swapped - no questions asked. They said they did a similar swap for an employee who had the same issue just 20 minutes before I walked in.

Easy swap for a new one.

8. flashflooder macrumors regular

I've been an iPhone owner since the first very first model came out.

Never had this problem until the i5 came out. I've had to get a replacement twice since launch because of this issue. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence about the longevity of the camera in this model.

9. dodder92 macrumors member

I'm sending it in for repair/service, from what I've read online the likelihood is that they'll just send me a refurbished unit.

10. joec1101 macrumors 6502

It's a known issue. I had mine replaced for this as well. Genius Bar appointment will get it replaced.

11. 2bFrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your reply, I have booked in a genius appointment for Monday :( (earliest available) and will see what they say.

The replacement phones they swap out are they in good condition, I don't expect a new phone and whilst my phones black paint is wearing away at the edges I have taken good care of it and don't really want to swap it out for a bashed up phone.

Thanks

12. joec1101 macrumors 6502

You will get a plain box replacement phone. It could be brand new or it could be a refurbished unit, since the phone has been out a while now.

Not to worry, though. The refurbs are as good or better than new because they are inspected, rebuilt, tested, etc. by an Apple tech as opposed to an assembly line unit. Typically they have new parts on them anyway (screen, back plate, internal components, etc.)

If it does have any scratches/damage out of the box, ask the Apple Genius to get you another one.

13. JonDigital macrumors regular

JonDigital

Just wanted to chime in. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5 due to this problem. The first time it was specs of dust. Second time was the block blobs/finger print looking spots and most recently I had a purple dot showing up in every photo. I'd be pissed if the exchange process wasn't as easy as it's been but really it's unacceptable.

14. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Yep

I'm on my second iPhone5 due to that issue. They replaced it outright. I had AppleCare and they swapped it.

15. Garrett67 macrumors regular

Will the Genius guys take the phone apart and clean it or do they just swap the phone?

I'm jailbroken and I don't want another phone and I have an appt tomorrow to deal with dirt on the lens or sensor.

I know I need to remove the jailbreak before I go in but I obviously dont' want a new phone due to the new software versions

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

90% of the time for issues like this they'll just swap it for a refurb unit. Refurbs are great IMO, new casing and battery, but tested, working internals.

17. Garrett67 macrumors regular

Yes but most likely new firmware and can't be JB