iPhone 5 Black still scuffs?

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
So my local Best Buy online site saids they have both the black and white model in stock but im really more interested in picking up the black, for people who got the 5 recently may i know if there are still scuffs? thanks alot

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
it is a hit or a miss. The only place I have seen the out of box scuffs is the forums. I know 6 people IRL who have all gotten black, myself included, and all is well.

gs7x

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
My 32gb that came yesterday from sprint had one nick on the front edge. Probably in better condition than what I've seen around these forums. But I'm still going to take it back as petty as that sounds.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
My 32gb that came yesterday from sprint had one nick on the front edge. Probably in better condition than what I've seen around these forums. But I'm still going to take it back as petty as that sounds.
It's understandable with the money we pay we should get a perfect one maybe its a sprint and AT&T issue I'm getting it on verizon so I hope it's good #

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's understandable with the money we pay we should get a perfect one maybe its a sprint and AT&T issue I'm getting it on verizon so I hope it's good #
not at all....it is a production issue, not carrier related in any way.

Thatcher

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Pontefract UK
I totally agreed! I've had mine for 3 weeks now (Launch) and can count 30+ scuffs and yes some are TINY. The fact of the matter is I didn't pay £660 with AppleCare for a phone that looks like it's been neglected. My iPhone 4/4S didn't have this many marks combined.

I love Apple products but this one has really disappointed me, This is even worse than the 3GS back case cracking, at least that was resolved quickly.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I totally agreed! I've had mine for 3 weeks now (Launch) and can count 30+ scuffs and yes some are TINY. The fact of the matter is I didn't pay £660 with AppleCare for a phone that looks like it's been neglected. My iPhone 4/4S didn't have this many marks combined.

I love Apple products but this one has really disappointed me, This is even worse than the 3GS back case cracking, at least that was resolved quickly.
damnnn i got mine on launch, no case. no scratches.
and i dont baby it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

You have a unit with defective anodizing coating, plain and simple. Get it swapped.

Many of us still have flawless black units with no nicks or scuffs after 1-3 weeks of normal use.

cvconde

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
You have a unit with defective anodizing coating, plain and simple. Get it swapped.

Many of us still have flawless black units with no nicks or scuffs after 1-3 weeks of normal use.
As was reported today by Bloomberg News and re-reported on MacRumors, BGR, iMore, etc., Apple has acknowledged that this is a Quality Control issue. FoxConn has tighten QC, therby slowing down the assembly lines. But Apple has NOT changed the coating or manufacturing process.

Like anything made of anodized aluminum, it will scratch.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...iphone-aluminum-said-to-slow-down-output.html

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
As was reported today by Bloomberg News and re-reported on MacRumors, BGR, iMore, etc., Apple has acknowledged that this is a Quality Control issue. FoxConn has tighten QC, therby slowing down the assembly lines. But Apple has NOT changed the coating or manufacturing process.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...iphone-aluminum-said-to-slow-down-output.html
Yes, but some are scratching much easier than others. As in they were not anodized correctly. Someone posted in another thread this, and it seems accurate

flawless out of the box. remains flawless (not defective)
damaged out of the box (defective coating)
damaged out of the box (non defective coating)
flawless out of the box. damages easily (defective coating)

some people had bad luck with the coating appearing normal, but damages way to easy. Others just got flat out damaged phones....some with good coating others with defective. Hopefully improved QC will fix all of this.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
The fact is this material scuffs easily hence 'Scuffgate' If you "baby it" or not. :eek:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

then why do some have issues with it and many dont?
i DONT baby it and mines just fine.

out of the millions they make, surely some weren't anodized fully..hence some scuff easier and others dont.

SirChurchill

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
This I understand - but many of us like to upgrade every year - subsidized or not, and it helps if the iPhone you are selling looks immaculate. It isn't OCD, it's commerce.
So just do what I do, bring it into a Genius Bar when you get the new one, tell them the battery doesn't hold a charge, get a brand new one...problem solved.

The fact is this material scuffs easily hence 'Scuffgate' If you "baby it" or not. :eek:
Darling, your reputation precedes you. It's a manufactured device, created from real world materials. These materials will show signs of use. They do not exist in a vacuum. :rolleyes:

You always were a spiny, stubborn old broad.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

No, but a batch has obviously shipped with defective anodizing coating, as the black shouldn't rub off in a few days with normal wiping or handling.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

I've had mine since launch day without any scratches at all. What are you doing with your phone? Storing it in a key draw?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.