iPhone 5 Black still scuffs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yankeesxd, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Yankeesxd macrumors member

So my local Best Buy online site saids they have both the black and white model in stock but im really more interested in picking up the black, for people who got the 5 recently may i know if there are still scuffs? thanks alot

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it is a hit or a miss. The only place I have seen the out of box scuffs is the forums. I know 6 people IRL who have all gotten black, myself included, and all is well.

3. gs7x macrumors newbie

My 32gb that came yesterday from sprint had one nick on the front edge. Probably in better condition than what I've seen around these forums. But I'm still going to take it back as petty as that sounds.

4. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

It's understandable with the money we pay we should get a perfect one maybe its a sprint and AT&T issue I'm getting it on verizon so I hope it's good #

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not at all....it is a production issue, not carrier related in any way.

6. Thatcher macrumors member

I totally agreed! I've had mine for 3 weeks now (Launch) and can count 30+ scuffs and yes some are TINY. The fact of the matter is I didn't pay £660 with AppleCare for a phone that looks like it's been neglected. My iPhone 4/4S didn't have this many marks combined.

I love Apple products but this one has really disappointed me, This is even worse than the 3GS back case cracking, at least that was resolved quickly.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

damnnn i got mine on launch, no case. no scratches.
    and i dont baby it.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You have a unit with defective anodizing coating, plain and simple. Get it swapped.

Many of us still have flawless black units with no nicks or scuffs after 1-3 weeks of normal use.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly. If you are picking up nicks that easy take it back...it is defective.

10. Thatcher macrumors member

The fact is this material scuffs easily hence 'Scuffgate' If you "baby it" or not. :eek:

11. cvconde macrumors newbie

As was reported today by Bloomberg News and re-reported on MacRumors, BGR, iMore, etc., Apple has acknowledged that this is a Quality Control issue. FoxConn has tighten QC, therby slowing down the assembly lines. But Apple has NOT changed the coating or manufacturing process.

Like anything made of anodized aluminum, it will scratch.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...iphone-aluminum-said-to-slow-down-output.html

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yes, but some are scratching much easier than others. As in they were not anodized correctly. Someone posted in another thread this, and it seems accurate

flawless out of the box. remains flawless (not defective)
    damaged out of the box (defective coating)
    damaged out of the box (non defective coating)
    flawless out of the box. damages easily (defective coating)

some people had bad luck with the coating appearing normal, but damages way to easy. Others just got flat out damaged phones....some with good coating others with defective. Hopefully improved QC will fix all of this.

13. SirChurchill macrumors newbie

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

then why do some have issues with it and many dont?
    i DONT baby it and mines just fine.

out of the millions they make, surely some weren't anodized fully..hence some scuff easier and others dont.

15. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

This I understand - but many of us like to upgrade every year - subsidized or not, and it helps if the iPhone you are selling looks immaculate. It isn't OCD, it's commerce.

16. SirChurchill macrumors newbie

So just do what I do, bring it into a Genius Bar when you get the new one, tell them the battery doesn't hold a charge, get a brand new one...problem solved.

Darling, your reputation precedes you. It's a manufactured device, created from real world materials. These materials will show signs of use. They do not exist in a vacuum. :rolleyes:

You always were a spiny, stubborn old broad.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, but a batch has obviously shipped with defective anodizing coating, as the black shouldn't rub off in a few days with normal wiping or handling.

18. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I've had mine since launch day without any scratches at all. What are you doing with your phone? Storing it in a key draw?

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Are you not able to grasp the concept of units with normal anodizing coating vs. units with defective anodizing coating?

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

yep. Why didn't you just get it exchanged then?