iPhone 5 brightness sensor not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vaultwit, Sep 26, 2012.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

I think my brightness sensor is not working properly. I'll turn on my screen in the same exact physically location of a room an sometimes the screen is dim, sometimes it's bright. Even though the brightness at that location from the lighting is always constant. Anyone else have this problem?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hm. Do you have another device to compare it to, even by memory? Last night I noticed my iPhone 5 was brighter than my 4. I didn't know what to think of it because I didn't know which device to go off of, like if my iPhone 5 was better at auto-brightness or which was more accurate.

3. tdar macrumors 6502a

There is a auto brightness bug in iOS 6. That may be at least part of your problem.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Source or experience with this? If it's an OS bug I'd expect it to be consistent across devices.

5. fins831 macrumors 6502a

There isn't a bug with iOS6 auto brightness.

It's just more intelligent. You have to train it in a way.

I go into a pitch black room with auto brightness on, and then give it a sec for the sensors to pickup on the darkness, and I turn the brightness lower with auto brightness toggled on, then i walk into a room with ambient light, and turn the brightness higher...

go back into the room and back into the light, and itll adjust to the levels you set per darkness and light, and will adjust within those parameters.

You have to initially setup the auto brightness to the levels in darkness and light, and itll auto adjust to those levels from now on.

6. fronzman macrumors newbie

No I think there IS a bug in iOS6 related to brightness. I do not use auto brightness, yet my 4s has on a couple occasions, gone in the dim mode, as if its about to sleep, and stayed there until I go into Brightness settings and touch the slider. Then it pops back to the proper brightness. Not a hardware problem either, this happened just after the update and never happened before.

7. tdar macrumors 6502a

We've seen this for awhile. It will do it with Auto on as well.

8. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

Notices last night mine isn't working either.

9. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

So I have another brightness problem I've noticed in addition to the one I mentioned in the OP. When I'm in a dark place and set my brightness level, then turn it on in a bright place, it is not bright enough. But when I set the brightness at a bright place, then take it to a dark place and turn it on, it is not dim enough. Yes the auto-brightness is option is enabled. It does adjust the brightness, but not nearly as much as it should.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I've noticed something strange with my brightness as well. For some reason, the brightness level is changing by itself. I have auto brightness on, but that shouldn't change the brightness setting, it should just dim and brighten the screen when necessary.