Iphone 5, buy unlocked or normal one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RICARDOVASCO, Oct 18, 2012.

1. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Hi all. I'd like to buy an Iphone 5 to use in Brazil. I've heard a lot of comments like Verizon comes unlocked but AT&T not. I've also heard that there is a unlock process I can do my self like Unlock Fusion website offer..etc...

What is true ? Is there any unlock method ( software) I can do my self or I do need to use a turbo sim? Should I buy a Verizon or AT&T? Regular Verizon Iphone should work or I need to pay the full price for an unlocked cel phone?

The only problem is that in Brazil we are starting on 4g right now but the band is not the same as the USA band so the Iphone 5 won't work in 4g.. only in 3g .

Thank you all!

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Is an unlocked iPhone5 not normal?

3. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

normal = regular price.

Not the full price one.

4. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

5. murckle macrumors newbie

"Regular" price = signing a 2 year contract + locked
    Retail price = no contract/device only + unlocked (make sure it's the right model).

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I purchased my ip5 sim free unlocked from my local Apple Store.

7. Paulsukhu macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a good explanation as to why Apple is not yet selling the unlocked iPhone 5 in the US? (GSM version)

8. PedroDias macrumors member

ou, atualmente não tem ele desbloqueado nos estados unidos pra comprar.
    voce pode tentar comprar um da verizon com no "full price" que o slot GSM dele é desbloqueado.
    outra alternativa é comprar o da AT&T full price e e comprar um unlock no ebay (custa tipo uns 10$, é só entrar que voce acha).
    voce pode tentar comprar pela Amazon tambem, onde vende já desbloqeado, mais vai custar entre 800 e 1000 dollares, o que continua sendo mais barato que no Brasil!
    (full price significa que é bloqueado, mas sem contrato.)

qualquer coisa voce pode me mandar uma mensagem que eu te dou as dicas

9. macman312 macrumors 6502

Hi
    I am from Australia and want to purchase the ip5 unlocked/sim free in the US as it is much cheaper. I need the A129(ie Verizon) model as it supports Australian LTE. I am going to be in the US next month and I want to purchase one then.
    Can you tell me which state you live in and what carrier you chose as it differs from state to state and carrier to carrier. Also did you just walk in and ask for one with no contract??.( I am going to be in NY- where I understand they don't allow you to purchase it unlocked-from what I have read on these forums :confused:.

Many thanks