iPhone 5 came scratched from factory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matrix808, Sep 28, 2012.

1. matrix808 macrumors regular

So as the title said, I received my iPhone via UPS on release date. When I opened it up I noticed 2 scratches, 1 fairly big one going about half way down the apple logo in the middle, and a 2nd very small one on the side. Today was the first time I was able to get to an Apple store and I told my situation and even showed documented pictures showing I had a scratch on release date (sent pics to a friend the moment i opened my iPhone). The guy I talked to was nice, but basically said they couldnt help me, and i had to come THAT day, but since it's a week later they can't help me now.

I've since put some minor scratches on my own so his answer isnt a deal breaker (i can definitely live with it), but just a little bummed that my 64 gb iPhone (worth $850) came with a scratch from the factory. Should I accept this as an answer or try to talk to someone else and get a replacement?

2. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

There's a big topic about how easy the black one scratches compared to the white. Your best option would be to wait for them to fix the issue and then buy one of the newer models unless you can get a case for it.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I would try another store. Next time call Applecare right away to get the problems documented.

There's obviously a batch of black iPhone with defective anodizing coating that are more susceptible to scratching. Some arrive pristine and get scratched up in no time. This is also not normal and should be exchanged. Waiting for them to "fix the issue" makes no sense as not all black iP5 are defective.

4. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

This was a picture of the scratch that i had sent to my friend. again VERY minor (you can see it where the apple leaf would touch the apple body) and i dont want to come across as the 'spoiled' one who gets there way which is why i can live with this, just disappointed a little bit that such an expensive item didnt come PERFECT (granted i made minor scratches on my own).

Attached Files:

5. RocketMan76 macrumors member

I don't...see anything.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You dont see that big huge scratch?

That is un acceptable to me, none of my phones even year old ones have scratches like that.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exposed Apple logo found on the original iPhone, 3G/3GS and iP5 gets scratched all the time so it's not surprising they'd refuse to replace it. Unless you put a film on it, it's going to get scratched whether you carry it naked or in a case.

----------

The 4/4S? The apple logo sits behind the glass so it of course doesn't get scratched the same way.

8. RocketMan76 macrumors member

That's a "big huge scratch"? You need to get out more, smell the outdoor air, get some sunlight. You don't think that would/could have happened the first time the OP put it in his pocket? Don't you people have better things to complain about than something as idiotically mundane as this? There IS a presidential election going on after all.

9. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed I'd get smart answers back which is why I said this isn't a deal breaker, but NO this did not happen due to my pocket. I took the plastic off and there it was a minor scratch. I realize this sorta thing can happen which is why I'm not throwing my hands in the air saying "***** you apple why don't you believe me". And I didn't say big huge scratch.

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

Since you've put additional scratches on it, I'd say just move forward. I'd be on a different side if you had placed a message on here day of receipt and wondered what to do ahead of activation. I took mine in the day of because it too had a scratch across the top -- silver was shining noticeablly through the black.

But you've used it as your own. If I were Apple, I'd be hesitant to replace too since it's not first day and you've been using it and scratching it additionally.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd suggest living with it if you've managed to put a few more minor scratches on your own since then. The exposed Apple logo is the easiest part to scratch and will get scratched one way or another. Otherwise, the proper thing to do is to put a film on it right away and document the problem with Applecare immediately.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like others have said, that part of the back is going to get scratched. To me it isn't a big deal. If you are otherwise happy with your phone, I say keep it.

13. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback, ya i guess ill live with it, i have a case that should be arriving tomorrow, its a clear case, but i assume once its on it will be a lot harder to see (hopefully). Oh well i guess i know next time i should have called up apple that day. Cant blame them though, i have been using it for a week.

14. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Do we really need a new thread every time some one finds a scratch on their phone?

"White iPhone 5 owners: Please post any scuffs / scratch / dent pictures here!"
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448788

I think I am spending way too much time on the forums lately. Things like this shouldn't bother me normally.

15. RocketMan76 macrumors member

Read my post and who I quoted. I didn't say you did.

16. Gabew1 macrumors newbie

I just unboxed my new white iPhone 5 32 gig from best buy, now it was also late, due to lack of shipment (I preordered) and noticed a ding/dent on the right side by the screen, I told the employee and be offered to swap it out with a new one, we open it up ad there's a scratch far worse than my dent! Right out the box! I told him I'd take the dented one, this is insane! I paid good money for a terrible ding. What should I do now :/

17. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Mine (black) came with no defects that I can see. I do have a case on order but I'm not sure if I'll use it since I really like how thin and light the phone is and a case is going to bulk it up and add weight to it. (more bulk than weight). Also, with a case on it gets in the way when you want to swipe across a lock screen notification one-handed. I did put a Zagg HD screen cover on it since the screen is the one place I absolutely wouldn't want to risk scratching, though I understand the new glass they use is pretty tough. I might put a skin on the back once such skins become available.

18. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

my mistake.

you should go to apple right away, dont make the same mistake i did. lessoned learned, but i agree with you, when you pay this much for a product it should come perfect, you should put your own defects in them yourself.

19. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

20. AznD85 macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Fifth Ave Flagship Store in NYC. Made a genius bar appointment for a warranty swap out. I went through 3 of their replacements in the store. All 3 had scratches and dent marks. Poor quality control on Apple. Decided to not swap it through them since I still have a 14 day return policy with Verizon. So now I'm waiting on Verizon to process this exchange on their worry free guarantee. :(

Verizon iPhone 5 Black 32GB: Week 37

21. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

This is not minor

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I just read the news about Foxconn's workers being on strike in an iPhone 5 factory, and want to share what I know about that factory. The factory is reportedly located in Zhengzhou, which is in Henan province. It is one of the poorest province in China and crime rate has been very high there, you can find all sorts of weird crimes happening there. But it has an advantage: cheap labor. If it's really the main factory producing iPhone I have genuine concern over the quality control there.

23. AznD85 macrumors newbie

I think we should run the poll again to see the percentage of people with iPhone 5 that arrived with scratch/dent from factory. Since now more people shoul have received their i5 already.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think the thing on the top part is just the glare. The scratch is literally that tiny line where the apple stem would come from.

25. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

This should be a no-brainer at this point... if they won't process an exchange for faulty merchandise, then they can process a "return" and you can re-buy. Rinse and repeat as necessary until you are satisfied or they kick you out. What is with people trying to justify this as if they own 49% stake in Apple? It's not like Apple is the last American company struggling to make it and we need to be patrioitic to ensure their future...