iPhone 5 Camera Fault

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchme89, Apr 9, 2013.

1. touchme89 macrumors newbie

Ever since I got my iPhone 5 I've had a purple smudge appear on every picture I take on the very far right of the screen. It never really bothered me so I never returned the phone, but recently a new 'smudge' has appeared more towards the center of the image and it's a lot more noticeable, so I decided to take it into the apple store and have them look at it and they claim it's been caused by mishandling on my part and refused to replace or even attempt to fix it. Can they do this? This is a hardware fault, and has certainly not been caused by myself as I've had a case on it since I bought it and I've never dropped it either.

Just wanted a second opinion on this before I go into my next appointment on Thursday and go ape **** on them.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They replaced mine on the spot with no questions asked for the same issue

3. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Looks like a pen/marker smudge, since it's always in the same place it's probably on the inside of the lens.

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

That sounds like you got a bad genius... Try again!

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a relatively common issue and I have seen others post similar pictures
    I took mine in and they acknowledged it as a known issue and replaced immediately

Click to enlarge

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

6. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

Not trying to hijack the thread, but i have the "Purple Haze" Thing really bad with my camera, do you think i can get a quick swap as well?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

All of them have it (the Purple Haze effect, not the spots above) to some degree, so I think it would have to be demonstrably different and well outside the normal specs for them to even consider it

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

The purple haze is different from what's being reported here, which is some kind of dead pixel(s) or something. The haze is considered to be 'normal', but the dead pixels should be covered.

9. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I had the same exact issue. Take it back and try again.

It's not dead pixel related. It's something else.

Attached Files:

10. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this considered normal from Apple?

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The so-called purple haze affect is considered normal and is also found in other phones, etc.

The issue here is the spots, smudges, smears (whatever), and it is not considered normal, and it is replaceable

12. touchme89, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

touchme89 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. touchme89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Went in store today and had a replacement given to me instantly, very friendly member of staff, phone is in brand new condition.

Another plus is my phone lost it's jailbreak because I had to restore my phone. Luckily this replacement is 6.1.2 so I can jailbreak it again :cool:

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I'm doing the same tomorrow, and though I'm sure I'll get one before 6.1.3, I'm hoping it will be 6.1.2 as well so I can both restore from backup and jailbreak again!