Iphone 5 Camera Lens Dust Particle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evorc, Sep 30, 2012.

1. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Upon cleaning my lens today, I noticed there is a tiny bright white spot inside my camera lens. It's more in the upper part of the camera. It looks like it's a stuck dust particle. I've done numerous testing and it doesn't seem to affect my photos. Should I even bother getting it replaced? The reason I ask is because the phone seems to be in good shape and no other cosmetic flaws. How are your lenses looking? Do you see any dust inside? I'm almost thinking I ignore it for now since in the past I've had nothing but bad experience replacing the iphone for cosmetic defects and in return end up with a phone with other problems. What do you suggest?

2. thehumorpolice macrumors newbie

Look very carefully because its probably not what you think. I noticed the same thing on mine and then I realized that it was light reflecting off the lens.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This thread reminds me of the luck I've had. Not a speck of dust in any of the many iPhones I've bought.

4. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

I have it's dust. However it's outside the lens diameter area. Maybe that's the reason I don't see it in photos?

5. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

I would just leave it alone unless it does make a difference. I'm seeing reports of the replacement iPhone 5s not being very good.

6. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I had my phone replaced because of this. The replacement phone ended up being much better overall

7. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

That's what I'm starting to think.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Some go from the frying pan into the fire; what a mixed bag of aesthetic deficiencies lie in wait.

9. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

10. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Because of the way these lenses work, they could literally be shattered and would still take a decent photo with no evidence the glass was shattered. Don't sweat one tiny particle.

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

11. shigatashway macrumors member

Had the same thing, took it to an apple store to swap out. Hadn't noticed a problem with the photos, but god knows if it somehow finds its way to the center of the lens (and if you're out of warranty) you could be pretty bummed.

Take it to the nearest apple store, they should swap it out right then and there, and as its so close to the release, you won't be handed a refurb.

12. Steven1726 macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing tonight and still not sure if its a scratch in the lens, or a dust particle or just a reflection of the light. Not sure...

13. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

I will go just to have it documented for replacement later :). I'll just tell them I would rather wait and not a device replacement with more defects.

14. opq macrumors member

I think it's the mic by the back camera that's causing these dust particles. I got one show up on my camera lens too, and a blast of compressed air to the mic took it away. Can't be good though.

15. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

Was it a dust inside the lens? And you just blew directly into the mic?

16. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Just noticed one on the in my camera at the bottom right. How depressing... :(

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Every time I read threads like this I check my phone, lol.

Lucky for me, I'm still batting 1,000. No dust, phew! :D:apple:

18. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'll probably just ignore it, but if it does start bothering me, when's the latest I could bring it in for an exchange?

19. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

You have a year from date of purchase. It's an easy replacement especially if you can show your photos being affected.

20. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

And if it doesn't affect my photos, am I out of luck?

21. EliteSoldier macrumors newbie

If it doesn't effect your photos, I say don't even bother getting it replaced. You could always take it to an apple store and have them look at it to see what they think.

22. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'm probably not going to bother, but it's good to know my options, especially if there happens to be another imperfection from dropping it or something. As unlikely as that is, considering my 4S was in flawless condition when I sold it.

23. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

Not necessarily. It really depends on the Genius, I bet if you demand a replacement you will get it. At the end of the day, it's not suppose to have the speck. The scary thing is that even if you get a replacement, there is a risk of more problems in the replacement. Apple QC hasn't been consistent. If his happens, you risk having to return the replacement over and over until you find the perfect one.

24. Huttz macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with mine. After a week I saw at least 3 dust particles that had gotten in under the camera lens (also one under the front main screen). I took it into a Genius and showed it mentioning if this is what it looks like after only a week... how much dust will there be a month from now etc. They told me that they changed the manufacturing process by design so it's easier to swap out the main screen causing it not to be as sealed as the 4 & 4s and to expect dust to get in. Either way he swapped it out for a new one and so far so good.

25. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502a

evorc

Ok this phone is going back! I'm in Hawaii vacationing and all my photos are crap! How can my photos suck so bad compared to a 4s? Mine are either too dark, dull, or blurry? I'm not sure if this is tied to my dust on lens but I'm not putting up with it! You think there will be issues exchanging it for the dust and photo qualities? How are the replacement stock?