iPhone 5 camp out: what to bring

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Now2407, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Now2407 macrumors newbie

Hi apple fanboys and fangirls
    I am going to camp out for the iPhone 5 next month and came to the conclusion
    That I do not know what to bring! Problameo! (prob-lame-o) can you help me decide what to bring to the camp out!? And I need a way to get power so I was
    thinking about hooking up a plug converter to a car cigarette lighter and running a exstension cord to a power strip and plugging in there.

I was thinking of bring this

Chairs
    Blanket
    Snacks
    iPad 3-32gb-wifi+3G (I will be Turning on 3G)
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Games like UNO and board games
    iPhone 4S
    Book or iBook or kindle book

Thanks, apple #1 fanboy

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I dunno where you live, but usually there is security for the malls and shopping centers containing Apple Stores. I don't think they would allow you running power cables across the property.

Yes

I live in Arizona so this will be unnecessary for me. It will be 80 degree + at night.

Absolutely

Goog idea.

Only if is cold where you live. I don't think I would be doing much sleeping with all of the excitement surrounding the iPhone.

Good idea. Some low tech fun that will conserve battery on your high tech gadgets.

No brainer. My phone goes everywhere with me. And you might need to call 911 incase of trouble.

Another good way to kill time. But remember, the more crap you bring, the more crap you need to put back into your car before the line starts moving. People will need to be willing to hold your spot in line for you to do so.

Oh... and just to avoid all of this... I will just order it online and sleep nice and comfy in my bed that night. UPS can do all the work. ;)

3. k3roro macrumors 6502

This got me thinking whether camping will be necessary as my pre-order for the 4S came delivered to my house on launch day.

4. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Camping does has its unique experiences. I would like to try out camping on the streets with other people and perhaps even make some friends. Sounds excellent!

----------

Chairs? No.

Its too bulky! Considering you would be camping for a few days or perhaps the night before, I would much rather sit on the floor, on my blanket.

Blankets? Absolutely, if the temperature drops way down to the north pole, yes

Snacks: Maybe

Its a maybe because maybe you're going to camp with your friends instead of being alone. If you camp with your friends, I suppose one of you can just go out and buy some food and others stay. If not, a light snack would be fine. And snacks are the way to go if you're camping alone. Unless you want to risk the thieves going through your tent.

iPad: Yes.

A camp for the iPhone is exciting, but the process is boring itself. The iPad should help.

Tent: Of course. Don't get caught in rain, so bring a tent.

Sleeping bag: no brainer, of course. And I thought sleeping bags include blankets too, maybe its just my own.

Board games: Yes if you're with your friends. And no for the obvious reasons if you're not.

iPhone? Yes.

Book iBook or kindle book? I don't understand this one but I do get your drift. You can just forgo everything and just download a book on your iPad. You don't need so many electronics on a camping trip. '

As for power issues, I suppose the police won't let u plug in any power outlet available, as if camping out in the public wasn't raising enough eyebrows! You should just conserve and use your battery well, if anything just get a portable external charger. If not, the iPad has a rather long battery life. Just don't use it too much.

5. yegon macrumors 68020

Previously turned up at my local o2 store in the uk 2 in the clothes I was wearing, two hours from opening (8am), walked out with it at 810am :)

Contract free these days, Three The One Plan ftuw, I'll just be ordering max capacity unlocked off the store at the earliest opportunity, and won't even leave the house :)

6. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

New York relationships are the best, I only asked my friend who is working at the 5th Avenue Store if he can safe me an iPhone 5 :D and yeah he is doing it *superhappy* I luv him, hehe o_O

7. iTouchPoop macrumors newbie

You can probably leave your virginity at home...you probably aren't going to need it.

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I would never and have never camped out for anything besides being front row for my favorite artist :p I'll be preordering my iPhone 5 with the fastest shipping possible like I did with my 4S. So, I'll give you my advice from the times I have camped out.

You definitely want chairs. It gets gruesome sitting on a blanket on concrete. Instead of a tent, you could just bring an umbrella and rig it up to your chair, but considering you're actually going to camp out, you'll want a tent. Don't bring one too big or you'll piss everyone off. As for your entertainment, you'll definitely want to bring your iPad and obviously your iPhone too. It wouldn't hurt to buy one of those portable battery chargers that you plug in to add a few hours. I wouldn't even consider running extension cables, they probably won't let you. An ebook reader is good, they have long battery life and if you have a couple good books, you'll be set. If you're with friends, board games would be fine I guess, but I wouldn't bring them because it's too much clutter. Don't worry about bringing snacks if you're going with friends. It's much easier for one of you to walk a couple blocks and get some food. Having blankets and a sleeping bag is a no brainer, you'll be wanting those.

There's really not much to camping out. Make sure you bring the essentials, but don't drag along extra crap.

9. esal macrumors newbie

It's great to find a forum where people talk about the things I will do and others think it's stupid.

10. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

lmao this one got me :D

11. falcora macrumors 6502

I have a giant bean bag chair that I brought for the ipad 3 launch. It's definitely the way to go. The ultimate in comfort. Just remember to chuck it in your car an hour before apple opens its doors.

12. Bezetos macrumors 6502a

Well I will be entirely honest with you and tell you that I find this both stupid and sickening and I personally hope that in ten years time people will look back at this and realise what were they doing.

But the beauty of the internet is that even people like that can communicate and share opinions, and I will always fight for people to retain this privilege.

13. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

Bring a couple portable battery packs. 5200+ mAh should last you good. :cool:

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D They call, I get the phone hence no need for tents, sleeping equipment etc. Camped out in the Private Boards watching the fun? Yep:)

15. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

I think attending an overnight launch line is a must-do experience for any Apple fan. I've taken part in 4 so far, even though I had also preordered in 2 of the launches. It's an exciting, exhausting experience.

The only unfortunate part that has really become a problem are the scalpers. They'll hire one person to stand in line overnight to hold the spot, then as the doors open a whole group will arrive to step in line. When I lined up for the 4S, there were only 170 people in line all night, but just prior to the doors opening, the crowd swelled to close to 1000, all stepping into line in groups, ahead of many people that where there overnight. Security was overwhelmed, and Apple had done little to control the chaos.

As for gear, I packed a couple iPads, my iPhone, a MacBook Air, blankets, chairs, refreshments, snacks, warm clothes. It's more fun with a friend, but it's also a great place to meet like minded people!

16. formerpc macrumors 6502

I can totally understand why you might think this is stupid (I think it's fun, for the record).... but *sickening*? Please enlighten me.

17. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

18. Bezetos macrumors 6502a

Just remember this is my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone:

What I find sickening is that this is the pinnacle of human consumerism, while 30% of the world hasn't got access to a proper toilet, somewhere there are people who spend days queuing up to buy an expensive toy... Not only to buy it, but to be one of the first people to buy it. I have witnessed one queue like that some time ago, and I saw a lot of youngsters who most likely are spending their parents' money on this, not even their own. I would never take a day off work to queue up to be one of the first people to buy an expensive gadget. I understand queuing up to buy a new book, a new game even. But >camping out< to buy something that most of the world can't even afford?

That's what I personally find sickening.

19. formerpc macrumors 6502

And I can totally appreciate and respect that.

20. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Don't like it? Don't participate. I work for a living, earn my money and I can spend it on whatever I like.

21. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

22. Bezetos macrumors 6502a

The hell I won't.

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And if it turns out you do need it, 90% of the people in line will have some you can borrow.

24. satchow macrumors 6502

Sorry to break this to you, but not everybody is equal. Some people have jobs and flexibility, while others have giving parents. Then you have another group that sits back and judges these people.