iPhone 5 car stereo over usb?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Does anyone have any info on aftermarket stereos that are confirmed working with an iPhone 5 usb connection? I'm in the market and was looking at Alpine models but they have a statement on their website about certain players not being compatible.

Basically I'm looking for a stereo that will take Pandora, music from the music app, and charge the iP5, all via usb. Bluetooth is a plus but not required.

Thanks!

Afro Blu

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I just purchased a JVC KW-R500. It works with Pandora & Sound Cloud and charges via USB. It displayed "Cannot play" though bc I don't have music on the phone yet. I'll post an update once I've put music on my phone. But it definitely works for streaming music and charging.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Mine works fine thru the two head units I've tested it with. Sony Xplod and a generic Freightliner (but made by Panasonic) unit.

Both play display data, etc. No different from my 4S as far as I can tell, but I admittedly use A2DP a lot more.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Does anyone have any info on aftermarket stereos that are confirmed working with an iPhone 5 usb connection? I'm in the market and was looking at Alpine models but they have a statement on their website about certain players not being compatible.

Basically I'm looking for a stereo that will take Pandora, music from the music app, and charge the iP5, all via usb. Bluetooth is a plus but not required.

Thanks!
Looks like they have a recent firmware update listed Alpine's site that enables iPhone 5 playback on some of their models.

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England
My NFC kdr900 works fine, and it seems iPod out is also supported via lightning. Must just be the adapters that don't. Head unit supports iPod out,or audio over USB, or Bluetooth. All work.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
I have a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH that I put in the car a few months ago. Luckily it totally works fine via BT with the iPhone 5. Both for calls and for BT audio. I was really dreading that it might not work with the cable because the 30-pin adapter says no video out, and so I didn't know if there was going to be problems. As it is though, I can drive around CA listening to XFM in London through my iPhone 5 and into the radio via BT. Ain't technology grand?

Pandora also works fine, it even sends the song data to the screen so that shows up fine, the only thing I've lost not using the cable is not being able to control it from the radio screen, but I've got a holder for my phone, so I can live with it.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
JVC X50-KDBT. Just bought a few weeks ago. No issues so far. Although I'll have to get used to the way you search through your songs/artists/playlists on that little screen. I kind of wish there was an option to leave the screen active during use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.