iPhone 5 car stereo over usb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AuroraProject, Sep 29, 2012.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Does anyone have any info on aftermarket stereos that are confirmed working with an iPhone 5 usb connection? I'm in the market and was looking at Alpine models but they have a statement on their website about certain players not being compatible.

Basically I'm looking for a stereo that will take Pandora, music from the music app, and charge the iP5, all via usb. Bluetooth is a plus but not required.

Thanks!

2. Afro Blu macrumors member

Afro Blu

I just purchased a JVC KW-R500. It works with Pandora & Sound Cloud and charges via USB. It displayed "Cannot play" though bc I don't have music on the phone yet. I'll post an update once I've put music on my phone. But it definitely works for streaming music and charging.

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Mine works fine thru the two head units I've tested it with. Sony Xplod and a generic Freightliner (but made by Panasonic) unit.

Both play display data, etc. No different from my 4S as far as I can tell, but I admittedly use A2DP a lot more.

4. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

Looks like they have a recent firmware update listed Alpine's site that enables iPhone 5 playback on some of their models.

5. zoonyx macrumors 6502

My NFC kdr900 works fine, and it seems iPod out is also supported via lightning. Must just be the adapters that don't. Head unit supports iPod out,or audio over USB, or Bluetooth. All work.

6. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

I have a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH that I put in the car a few months ago. Luckily it totally works fine via BT with the iPhone 5. Both for calls and for BT audio. I was really dreading that it might not work with the cable because the 30-pin adapter says no video out, and so I didn't know if there was going to be problems. As it is though, I can drive around CA listening to XFM in London through my iPhone 5 and into the radio via BT. Ain't technology grand?

Pandora also works fine, it even sends the song data to the screen so that shows up fine, the only thing I've lost not using the cable is not being able to control it from the radio screen, but I've got a holder for my phone, so I can live with it.

7. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

Good call! My INE-Z928 alpine only charged the iPhone 5, now I can play music with the update. However the bluetooth streaming quality is AMAZING on this unit.

http://alpine-usa.com/feeds/promo/12avupdate

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

JVC X50-KDBT. Just bought a few weeks ago. No issues so far. Although I'll have to get used to the way you search through your songs/artists/playlists on that little screen. I kind of wish there was an option to leave the screen active during use.

9. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I picked up a Kenwood Double Din last year and it works great with the new iPhone.

10. Cronus macrumors member

JVC KW-AVX640 works perfectly

I picked up one of these last year(discontinued now):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6Bfo4RIU3fX/p_105AVX640/JVC-KW-AVX640.html

I was worried, but turns out, it works great with the iPhone 5 over USB. Works exactly the same as my iPhone 4 did. The song/podcast information is still displayed and I can still control the device from the iPhone itself or from the console.