iPhone 5 carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blobs21, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Blobs21 macrumors newbie

If you were to get the iPhone 5 and let's say AT&T and version both would carry 4g feature. Which service provider would u go with? And why?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

att b.c i get a 23% discount. All else being equal, I would go verizon b.c they have the best service coverage....at least for where i live.

3. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I would go with Verizon. Verizon's 4G network is far more superior than AT&T with wider coverage, although reports say that AT&T's 4G LTE is faster than Verizon. That may be due to people not adopting LTE as much on AT&T than Verizon yet. In my opinion, the 4G speeds don't really matter as long as they deliver high speeds. About 10mbps + is satisfying enough for me. I don't see the point of higher speeds on a phone , although its good to have.

But hey, don't forget that although 4G might be available, there are many times you would fallback to 3G or even 2G speeds. In this case, Verizon still wins as although AT&T still has better speed in some cases, Verizon's 3G is known to be reliable. Yes, they may not typically get speeds above 3mbps, but they do get decent speeds of about 1-2 mbps most of the time (for me). In extreme cases, of course, below 1mbps . AT&T on the other hand, experiences high speeds sometimes but is mediocre. You could get high speeds but you could also get extremely low speeds. (Again, hearsay!)

Also, AT&T is known for dropping calls since the iPhone came out. Verizon, on the other hand, is a reliable carrier with much lesser dropped calls. However, I'm sure that I've also heard that the situation at AT&T has improved and this can't be ignored.

In terms of pricing, they are actually both equally expensive. But I heard Verizon has better value for its data plans. (Not sure for this actually, need to check my sources again) .

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually think the Data plans are very similarly priced, but the price for going over is cheaper on ATT. I know i was looking at an ipad in store the other day and it made sense to buy the cheapest plan offered b.c the price for going over was the same price as upgrading to the next tier. Verizon it was more expensive if you went over.

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Same here, I get a 21% discount, which makes AT&T a value for me. I don't know much about Verizon's new pricing plan that is about to come out, but it seemed like it will make Verizon more expensive for an individual plan from what I read on yahoo.

Verizon has has the larger LTE network at the moment. I would like to have access to that, but all of my friends who have LTE capable phones... never use the LTE network to save on battery life.