iPhone 5 Cases WAY Overpriced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i5taco, Sep 28, 2012.

1. i5taco macrumors newbie

I'm appalled. I am one of those guys who upgraded from iPhone 4. When I had my i4, a good full body case cost $25.

Got my iPhone earlier this week and went to check out cases. This crappy "shell" case which doesn't even protect the front of the iPhone 5 cost $38. What a load of crap. And if you want a decent holster case (which I would never use), they cost a whopping $50.

Don't even get me started on screen protectors. The only one in AT&T cost $40. Almost lost my marbles.

Been searching online for some cheap cases but every company and their mother wants to scam the living hell out of you.

Has anyone given into these ridiculous prices? ANY alternative online sites that sell cheap?

I am sure some of you are gonna jump at me for being cheap and would take any chance possible to defend the apple market so ill tell you this: I've had a ****** day, don't need to hear you pointlessly defend some $3 cases made in China.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I picked up a belkin shield sheer case from eBay for £11.

3. Jane333 macrumors regular

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Cases are always expensive when the product is just released. Wait two weeks and all the cheap ones come flooding the market.

5. CanadaEh macrumors regular

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I find most of the cases on the market are ridiculously overpriced and I'm always blown away by how much money people are willing to spend on them. If people just refused to pay such ridiculous prices, the market would adjust, but seem there's a an iPhone case sucker born every minute. :rolleyes:

You might give the one's on Monoprice.com a try. They may be pretty cheesy, but they are cheap.

7. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

You just have to make things happen.

I managed to get an otterbox defender from Otterbox's website on overnight shipping for $27.99. I love the blue color, too. Just need to wait for my phone on Monday.

8. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

I picked up an incipico case from radio shack. 24 bucks and it came with a screen protector . More then I wanted to pay but it covers the volume buttons and lock buttons. Very sturdy case I could easily keep this one but I ordered an otter box commuter anyway

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

This.

The ones out now are expensive because they're trying to get in on all the hype of a new iPhone release and the fact that a lot of people will be buying cases. Just wait a few weeks.

10. MichaelKB macrumors member

They seem very comparable to the 4 cases from what I've seen (and I've been looking... a LOT).

11. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I would try the Incipio cases. They are reasonably priced, are very good quality and come with screen protectors. I have the Feather case, as I like a minimal case, and its very good quality. Highly recommend.

12. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Here is the way i look at it, since i have apple care then it's only 50 bucks to replace and since most cases are 35 and you're rarely going to get just one then why not go naked if you have apple care?

13. ZekersSneakers, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  14. ticklemeapple macrumors newbie

Because you pay 150 bucks (initially 100 to even have it) in actuality to go "naked"

15. rollingstart Guest

16. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Like cables and adapters,everything is overpriced at the moment. In a few weeks, you will be able to eBay anything for under $10.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why so high priced? Simple.

They figure if anyone will stand in line, wait up all night, drive around town from store to store, pay insane prices....then they surely will pay $50 for a case.

LOL!

18. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

supply and demand. plus being a new iphone 5 it adds a preminum to everything.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

incase slider. $35... has been that price since the iphone 3g

20. opnr2000 macrumors member

21. alexmish macrumors newbie

22. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

My local best buy has plenty of really nice cases for 30 or less

23. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Picked up a solid Best Buy cause for $18.99 just gotta look

24. molingrad macrumors member

Otterbox defender for 4s was about $25 on amazon, $50 retail. The 5 is $50 at amazon. They are probably skimming the market right now. I bought anyway because I need the protection and to hide the iPhone in the case so I don't stand out with it.

I have to say it is the best case I've ever seen. Everything is quality, feels great I don't think I'll have the problems I did with the old one falling apart after a year.

25. sdyoyo macrumors member