iphone 5 CDMA version abroad.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by testeng1966, Sep 13, 2012.

1. testeng1966 macrumors member

My Iphone 4S is considered a world phone, I travel to Singapore a lot. I was able to have Verizon unlock my 4S and use a prepaid Singtel microsim.
    Trying to read the 3 versions, it appears that the Iphone 5 will work based on this statement.

The new iPhone 5 now comes in three LTE versions, all of which continue to support the global GSM/UMTS services of iPhone 4S (Quad Band 2G GSM/EDGE on 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, and Quad Band 3G UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA on 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) with new support for "4G" DC-HSDPA (which at up to 42Mbps is as fast as most carriers' 4G LTE service). Only one of the three versions continues to support CDMA.

Anyone care to agree?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

LTE uses a SIM card, so just pop the SIM out, and pop in the one for a local carrier and use it on at least HSPA+.

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Assuming you can get a nano sim

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Scissors and sandpaper :D

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I'm hearing mixed things with that because supposedly you can't trim a micro down. Cool if it works though, definitely the better international iPhone :D

6. testeng1966 thread starter macrumors member

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What do you mean? You can even call Verizon to unlock the SIM card slot. (Note that US bands from other carriers will still be blocked, so non-Verizon American SIM cards will be blocked out)

8. testeng1966 thread starter macrumors member

With my 4s I had Verizon unlock the Sim and installed a Singtel micro and used pay as you go. Will the Verizon IPhone 5 do the same.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes, but unlike the 4S, you must keep your Verizon SIM to use in the United States. Verizon uses the SIM card to authenticate on the CDMA network now (Utilizing what's called the C-SIM application), whereas before, you didn't need the SIM to use the phone in the United States.

So while you're in Singapore, keep that Verizon SIM in a safe place, I believe Verizon will charge $10 for lost SIM cards.

10. jokerz126 macrumors regular

US-Canada...

ok...so if on Verizon, and they unlock the sim slot for you to travel, when I go to Canada will I be able to put in a Rogers nano sim for example? (once they're available of course)....this would save me from buying an unlocked phone right from start...and then give options for Europe as well....

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes, you just can't put other US SIM cards in there, as Verizon blocked them out. And as I said a couple posts above, don't lose the Verizon SIM card either, if you want to have service when you return home. This is a big change for people who have never used LTE or GSM before in the US, which is why I can't emphasize it enough (To a lot of Verizon users, this is their first time even seeing a SIM card)

12. jokerz126 macrumors regular

now, is added expense worth it?!

thanks for the info! now I just have to decide if it's justified switching from AT&T
    to Verizon and increasing our bill for 2 iphones from $121 after taxes to like 160
    :(.....currently getting 2gb on phone #1 and 3gb on phone #2...the Verizon $150 cost will be for 4gb :(

this is after a corp. discount applied to the bill too....well, at least we'll get the hotspot feature which we never had, and facetime over cellular...

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would just keep AT&T if you really don't have a reason to go Verizon.

14. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

I assume its the same with Sprint then?

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Correct. Though the first batches of iPhones from Sprint did come unlocked. They have since changed that however.

16. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

How about at&t. Can I use another sim abroad?

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Same thing, Call AT&T and unlock the phone (as long as you're out of contract, or purchased it outright for AT&T customers).

18. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

Thanks for you reply.

Just to clarify :) I am on the plan of a friend he is in good standing with at&t for years. now after we received the iphone 5, can he just call at&t and unlock the phone for abroad without cost, even if we have a 2 year commitment?

19. jokerz126 macrumors regular

reasons to go to Verizon for travel capabilities Iphone 5..

well, for me, reasons to switch to Verizon would be:
    (1) want access to the LTE Verizon has....ATT is still VERY limited...none in Seattle yet...3G speeds are awful for the most part i find
    (2) want to use Facetime on cellular (i know can do on ATT with Family Share)
    (3) better coverage call quality...ATT has been lame from time to time
    (4) travel a lot to Canada and sometimes Europe/Asia...would be nice to at least have option to throw in a pre-paid GSM card even if it's 3g speeds...hate having my ATT iphone as a paper-weight when travelling...if they adjusted their policy to match Verizon and Sprint, I'd probably just stick with them...idiots....just silly policies...