iPhone 5 charger cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by espocrespo, May 3, 2013.

1. espocrespo macrumors newbie

i've had 3 break in me in 6 months, does anyone else find the end that plugs in to the phone itself, to be flimsy and useless. Because its too small and delicate, it takes the mick. Apple will not even replace them, as it is a design fault, but apparently it is 'general wear and tear'.
    Has anyone else had this problem,as its not like i even full on yank the cable out, or pull it by the cable itself.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Five cables here, none have broken. Seems like it would take quite a bit of force for that to happen.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have 6 cables for 3 devices - ipad 4, ipad mini and iphone 5. no issues for me whatsoever.

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

I have tons of those cables at home from all those apple gadgets i have, and i have never experienced that sort of thing at all; 30-pin to lighning cables

6. espocrespo thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe im just really unlucky, never had a problem, with the cables for iphone 4/ipods. Just since the new i have had the iphone 5 cable

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Know 4 owners.

I have 3 cables myself. Release day.

No issues. Seem to be reasonably solid construction.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

I will agree that the are more of a pain in the butt to handle. I guess I'm used to the 30 pin and I really don't use micro USB.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

OP,
    Where are you using the cable? By this I mean, are you using the phone while plugged in frequently? The cable in our car is definitely starting to wear. It did that with their old 30 pin connectors too. Oddly enough third party (we generally used griffin) never did. My favorite cable was a slightly longer griffin cable that I must have used for close to five years (I want to say we got it with the 3G). It took a beating. We still have it, although we don't have any I devices that can utilize it any longer. I'll definitely be grabbing their cables once they release them. I never found Apple cables to be of especially great build quality. Same goes for their headphones.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'd suggest getting cheaper cables if you're harder on yours. Meritline and a bunch of other places have copies available.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope -- no problems here with 4 different cables.

Where/how are they breaking, exactly?

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In the vast majority of cases it is careless use.

13. AJAAY macrumors regular

Rough use and mishandling will break any product. Doesn't necessarily reflect on the build quality of said product.

14. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Be sure to disconnect the cable by grabbing the connector not the cable and pulling it.
    Apple connector cables are built solid. I have several and have no problem