iPhone 5 Cheap? Over Rated? Is it Better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gags730, Sep 26, 2012.

1. gags730, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

gags730 macrumors newbie

Ahhhh The New iPhone 5 is here, I really must say excitement filled my blood as I went to the store to finally hold it and see what it had to offer. Then disappointment set in. The phone does not look much different as the screen doesn’t jump out and say look how big I got. To me it seems as it got a little bigger and a lot cheaper.

The feel of the glass on the back was gone, the phone was already scuffed up, and it didn’t feel like a new amazing product. I kept starring back at my 4S in my hand and saying what the hell am I getting here with the new 5. I have been checking out many phones because my contract expires in a week. When I think of Apple I always think Im getting something revolutionary.

When I first got the 3 I remember looking at it like a piece of art, it was beautiful. But after many years of the same look its getting old and stale. Its like buying art and hanging in the wall, for many months ya stare at it, appreciate it, and 5 years later you almost forget it’s on the wall.

I hate to say it but the 5 seems to be forgotten already as it’s the same phone look only cheaper, and everyone here can agree the quality feel is diminished, and you pretty much starring at the same phone. How many years do I want the same look. Then I saw the Jimmy Kimmel skit on SNL and realized I was right. Lets take a look at what it comes with because the advertising is quoting physics and ear phones neither of what I think about when I get a phone.

I want to compare the phone to whats out there so I can say hey look at what I got!!!, but we are not getting much more. A new processer yeah that’s the best part, I cant deny that its speedy and its what it needs. When we dig deeper is where it gets sad. The screen looks no better than the one I have, and if it looks different to anyone other than its larger …..heck check your brightness lol… I see Samsung and HTC and have to say the screens look the same.

Gorilla glass and a nice picture… The battery is only 2 mah larger still at about 1400 mah. One of the crappiest batteries on the market. Compare talk times…. It’s a smart phone talking is the last thing Id compare when it comes to a battery, how bout apps and being on the web, Apple is using software to conserve the juice, how about a comparable 2100 mah battery, I don’t care if the phone thinner cause it doesn’t feel that thin compared to my 4S. Comes with 1 gig a RAM … why not 2, and the thing that pisses me off the most is the new connector… This connector probably wont work with my car stereo and my home audio equipment, so they screwed me there.

Video out NONE unless I buy Apple TV sure I’m going to do that right away…NOT… How about a SD card, NFC to share NO , NO, NO…. Its a smart phone that’s limited. Now we have to lookout because Android will soon be open source and that’s when all good things happen. I cant have flash, why? Only biggest thing on the web right?? Why do you keep telling me what third parties I can use or cant use…why?

With Android and Open Source People get to do what they want, the freedom , the choice. Apple is making our phone more and more limited, and using Itunes frankly sucks. A friend has a Galaxy S3 and wireless transfers and sharing on that device are amazing. He has tons of apps all free, his music all on the SD card might I add it’s a 64 gig card…. So I look back at the i5 and say why don’t I have that…. When I compare he has more features than us and this is the NEW phone… Why ….

With Apple its always next time , and maybe, I want it now… Im tired of hearing this is the best IPhone ever… It should be it’s the newest phone dummy… But is it the best phone or are we trapped by the persona of Apple and stuck with all the money we spent with Itunes that we can bring over to another phone. I think that’s the issue its like a bad marriage its cheaper to keep her… then I will just lie to everyone and say I have the most advanced device on earth.All the upgrades reall just brought us up to industry standards and we are still lacking.

Is that what Apple once was, is that what they are? I think we got the short end of the stick , and the new maps that don’t work right that’s awesome, do I need a high up view of city, im driving in a car not a helicopter…panoramic pictures, what a joke everyone has it already. But we get new headphones cant wait for the free gift. Make your choices Im going to make mine soon, but with Apple I want more . I don’t think we got it, Maybe next year, next time

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Could you use paragraph form? Maybe break up your thoughts? I'm not reading this.....

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Not reading that either, but to answer your title:

No, No, Yes!

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

5. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

6. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I'll start by saying I didn't read all your wall of text, one day someone will hopefully introduce you to the concept of paragraphs.

But, to answer your title, the 5 is not cheap, nor is it overrated. It is however significantly better then the 4/4s.

The only reason not to buy a 5 is finances.

7. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

Didn't bother reading.

iPhone 5 is better, though.

8. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Good thing your opinions turn into facts at the push of the button "submit reply".

I see what hes saying. The IP5 didnt introduce any new technology, at all. If I were to go back to an Iphone, it would be the 4s since I would save money and miss VERY little.

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Here you go OP. Please next time do us a favor... Paragraph or no one will read it

Ahhhh The New iPhone 5 is here, I really must say excitement filled my blood as I went to the store to finally hold it and see what it had to offer. Then disappointment set in. The phone does not look much different as the screen doesn’t jump out and say look how big I got. To me it seems as it got a little bigger and a lot cheaper.

The feel of the glass on the back was gone, the phone was already scuffed up, and it didn’t feel like a new amazing product. I kept starring back at my 4S in my hand and saying what the hell am I getting here with the new 5. I have been checking out many phones because my contract expires in a week. When I think of Apple I always think Im getting something revolutionary.

When I first got the 3 I remember looking at it like a piece of art, it was beautiful. But after many years of the same look its getting old and stale. Its like buying art and hanging in the wall, for many months ya stare at it, appreciate it, and 5 years later you almost forget it’s on the wall.

I hate to say it but the 5 seems to be forgotten already as it’s the same phone look only cheaper, and everyone here can agree the quality feel is diminished, and you pretty much starring at the same phone. How many years do I want the same look. Then I saw the Jimmy Kimmel skit on SNL and realized I was right. Lets take a look at what it comes with because the advertising is quoting physics and ear phones neither of what I think about when I get a phone.

I want to compare the phone to whats out there so I can say hey look at what I got!!!, but we are not getting much more. A new processer yeah that’s the best part, I cant deny that its speedy and its what it needs. When we dig deeper is where it gets sad. The screen looks no better than the one I have, and if it looks different to anyone other than its larger …..heck check your brightness lol… I see Samsung and HTC and have to say the screens look the same.

Gorilla glass and a nice picture… The battery is only 2 mah larger still at about 1400 mah. One of the crappiest batteries on the market. Compare talk times…. It’s a smart phone talking is the last thing Id compare when it comes to a battery, how bout apps and being on the web, Apple is using software to conserve the juice, how about a comparable 2100 mah battery, I don’t care if the phone thinner cause it doesn’t feel that thin compared to my 4S. Comes with 1 gig a RAM … why not 2, and the thing that pisses me off the most is the new connector… This connector probably wont work with my car stereo and my home audio equipment, so they screwed me there.

Video out NONE unless I buy Apple TV sure I’m going to do that right away…NOT… How about a SD card, NFC to share NO , NO, NO…. Its a smart phone that’s limited. Now we have to lookout because Android will soon be open source and that’s when all good things happen. I cant have flash, why? Only biggest thing on the web right?? Why do you keep telling me what third parties I can use or cant use…why?

With Android and Open Source People get to do what they want, the freedom , the choice. Apple is making our phone more and more limited, and using Itunes frankly sucks. A friend has a Galaxy S3 and wireless transfers and sharing on that device are amazing. He has tons of apps all free, his music all on the SD card might I add it’s a 64 gig card…. So I look back at the i5 and say why don’t I have that…. When I compare he has more features than us and this is the NEW phone… Why ….

With Apple its always next time , and maybe, I want it now… Im tired of hearing this is the best IPhone ever… It should be it’s the newest phone dummy… But is it the best phone or are we trapped by the persona of Apple and stuck with all the money we spent with Itunes that we can bring over to another phone. I think that’s the issue its like a bad marriage its cheaper to keep her… then I will just lie to everyone and say I have the most advanced device on earth.All the upgrades reall just brought us up to industry standards and we are still lacking.

Is that what Apple once was, is that what they are? I think we got the short end of the stick , and the new maps that don’t work right that’s awesome, do I need a high up view of city, im driving in a car not a helicopter…panoramic pictures, what a joke everyone has it already. But we get new headphones cant wait for the free gift. Make your choices Im going to make mine soon, but with Apple I want more . I don’t think we got it, Maybe next year, next time.

Noobie.....Good-by..... ;)

PS: You earned a down vote 1

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

tl;dr version for those who skipped it:

11. gags730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the edit...
    sorry wrote it on my phone lol My iPhone waiting at the DMV. :eek:

12. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Subd for when I need my essay paper checked.

Jk/ love my iPhone 5 coming from a 4s

13. macrat macrumors regular

So you just joined MacRumors today to let us know you are dissappointed. Honestly, I don't see in your post that you ever owned an iPhone. Go back to the Android forums and share your disappointment there. They will love your comments:eek:

14. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, the 5 is a lot better than the 4S. The 4S doesn't have LTE. The screen isn't a monster like the S3, but the extra space is surprisingly useful. Apple will never compete in a raw specs war, so don't expect SD cards (which take up space), tap-to-share, or other features that Apple designers likely view as gimmicky.

True, the lighter feel takes some getting used to, but it doesn't feel cheap to me at all. It feels a lot like my MacBook Air (no surprise since it's the same material). Check to see how many Android phones have sapphire crystal camera lenses, or a sparkly beveled edge.

Who cares if the S3 has 2GB RAM if the iPhone is just as fast or even faster with 1GB? As for Lightning, it's annoying having to change adapters, but it's the first time in a decade, and the new connector is a lot more advanced. We'll see some good things developed for it over time.

As for using software to preserve battery rather than give it the "RAZR MAXX" treatment (an oxymoron if there ever was one), that's being smart and is fully consistent with Apple's design direction for the past 15 years.

16. gags730 thread starter macrumors newbie

own a iTouch, had a iPhone 3 and now a 4S....

17. gags730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you having issues with the scratches and dents?, My 4S looks brand new and I dont use a case, Funny... new thinner phone than I have to get a case LOL defeats the purpose. Thinking about just getting a new iTouch and an Android device at this point.
    When you got the phone and used it for a few days do you still feel happy with the device, ya know the "wow" factor... I just want the wow factor again from Apple and this time I feel like Im missing it.... by the way thanks for the reply.....appreciate it..

18. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

The DMV is beyond torture I see why you got so bored you had to write this

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

What did you hope to achieve by posting this here?

20. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Some people have said the lightness on the new iPhone makes it feel cheap. I really don’t get this. Everybody throws a fit when the new iPad gained a couple ounces and was a mm thicker but now that the new iPhone is thinner and lighter some people are complaining about that. I think people expect too much here.
    It’s really a personal choice to upgrade so only you can decide if the 5 is worth the upgrade for you. If you can find reasons not to like it then it becomes even easier. For me, I can say there is only one thing I have found that I really don’t like about the 5 and that is pictures taken on the phone don’t fill up the whole screen. This is one reason I didn’t like the change in the aspect ratio. As much as I think it would be weird to have all pictures taken 16:9 it would still be better than having black bars on the sides of the pictures when looking at them. Other than that I love the 5 and have no regrets about upgrading.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

No, I don't have issues with scratches or dents. The whole issue of scuffing is more an issue of units showing up scratched out of box. Normal holding of the phone is unlikely to cause significant scuffing.

Glass vs. aluminum is a tradeoff. For that matter, so is plastic. People complained that the glass was heavy and that it would crack when dropped. Aluminum is lighter but then people complain that it scratches more easily than glass, and dents. If they used plastic, scratches would be less noticeable and it wouldn't break as easily, but then people would say it looks and feels cheap.

The iPhone 5 has done comparatively well in drop tests. I don't use a case, though I have ordered a leather pouch for when I carry the phone in a pocket. Until then I've just been careful to make sure I don't have coins or anything in that same pocket that can scratch it.

No future iPhone (or phone for that matter) is likely to match the "wow" factor of a person's first iPhone since the device is mature now. However, I'm very happy with it and wouldn't want to go back to a 4S. I've used Android devices before (a Nexus One), and while there are nice things about it, iOS seems a lot more coherent. Windows Phone looks interesting, and the Nokia Lumia 920 looks like it will be a nice phone, but it is significantly thicker and heavier than the iPhone (it's more than 6.5 oz compared to 3.95 for the iPhone).

If you are really worried about scratching, get a thin plastic film for the back. Don't bother with a case as it defeats the purpose of having a thin phone.

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

iPhone 5 is better unless you ask a 4S owner.

23. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

let me ask you this OP. What exactly were u expecting from the new iphone?