iPhone 5 Chewing Through Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ECUSnare, May 18, 2013.

1. ECUSnare macrumors regular

I upgraded from my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 on May 2nd. Ever since then, I've had issues with the amount of data being used. I have a 2GB/month plan and at the very most used 1 GB (which was mainly due to streaming from the Tunein App on long road trips) with my iPhone 4. With my iPhone 5, I have used 66% of my data and I still have 16 days left in this billing cycle. I should note, I have not changed my usage habits from when I had the iPhone 4.

I use wifi while at home, every night.
    I have disabled iCloud.
    I only use Location Settings if I need to use GPS, which is maybe once/twice per month.
    I use Spotify, but rarely stream (I only stream if I'm on wifi, and I only sync while using wifi).

Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Make sure you iOS is iOS 6.1.4 and the carrier setting are up to date(open about in settings and should ask if you want to update. My carrier version is 14.2 on Verizon.)
    Thats all i can think of. If none of these work your going to have to turn off cellular data manually every time you want to use data on your iPhone 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. LithePanther macrumors 6502

A restore might help. Tends to fix a lot of problems in my experience.

4. ECUSnare thread starter macrumors regular

Should I set it up as a new iPhone, or just restore settings?

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Restore settings should he fine if you need it but restore as new will keep everything fresher i guess

6. ECUSnare thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the help.

In response to your previous post, everything is up to date.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Ok then your only option is to restore or turn off data manually. And your welcome. I like to help people with this kind of stuff.

8. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Are you running speedtest? A friend of mine was complaining that he was using a lot of data. A single speedtest can take over 40 MB with LTE speeds so be careful when running them.

9. Zcev5454 macrumors member

When I first switched to the 5, I noticed that since the pages loaded faster I was more tempted to do more in a shorter time period.

10. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Speedtest was my problem when i first got my iphone 5. That uses a lot of data.

11. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I had the same problem when I made the switch in September. I went from using under 3 GBs close to 5 GBs. After doing a lot of research, I found that LTE and 4G (mainly LTE) consume a lot more data on different sites as opposed to 3G data. They credited me for like two months of overages but I just ended up upping my data plan because I started to realize after reading that that's how the LTE 4G iPhone 5 was going to consume data.

I'm on AT&T by the way

12. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I'm glad T-Mobile lets me chew through data. 18Gb in 8 days not even trying.

Attached Files:

13. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Also, if it's brand new and you restored from an iCloud backup over LTE, I think that uses a large chunk of data.

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Or you can go to the apple store/ D&D/ Starbucks or other places and use their free wifi.

15. ECUSnare thread starter macrumors regular

I did the setup and restore while on wifi. I have used speediest during this billing cycle. I didn't think about the data usage at that point but it would make sense. I also don't browse that often online on my phone mainly because I find it to be a PITA to read. I plan on doing a full restore later today and will just have to play the "manually switch on cellular data" game.

16. mantan macrumors 68000

This is especially true if you consume a lot of video. Clips load a lot faster so even if you're watching a short portion of a clip, the whole thing will load. Also some sites will default to the speed of your connection and load a higher quality video.