iphone 5 chooses poor 3G over good Edge reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ballis, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Ballis macrumors 6502a

My iphone 5 chooses poor 3G over good edge reception, causing poor voice quality or even dropped calls. It seems odd it will choose 1 or 2 3G bars over 5 bars of Edge when this is the result. This was never the case with any previous iPhones ive owned (which are all of them).

This has resulted in me having to manually turn 3G off all together. Its not a big deal, but having to manually switch networks in 2012, is a little annoying. It usually leaves me just using Edge (when not on wifi of course) all the time, which really renders the new network speeds Apple were bragging about at the keynote obsolete.

anyone else experiencing this?

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I noticed better reception on my ipad3 with 2g & Edge over 3G on iOS6.

Must be a software bug.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That´s normal. It tries to connect with the fastest network if reception is acceptable.

Apparently, in your case, your reception increased with the iPhone 5: it's now strong enough to pick a 3G signal over EDGE. Basically, your older iPhones would just settle with EDGE because they weren't able to get an acceptable 3G signal at all.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1or 2 bars on some networks do not cause issues. I wouldn't want my iphone with 40% 3G signal dropping to edge

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Mobile Data off. It will only use edge (which can still connect to internet :) )

6. Ballis thread starter macrumors 6502a

This seems to be the case exactly. Or that the older iPhones better were able to determine what was acceptable for a 3G signal before deciding to use it.

7. msaftw macrumors member

? with mobile data off the iPhone cannot connect to to the data network?