Iphone 5 coming...give wife iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macsimus11, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Macsimus11 macrumors member

Hey everyone. I couldn't find an answer to this in the forums.

I will be receiving my iPhone 5 this friday and my wife will be getting hers mid October. She is using a 3GS and I have a 4. (Both AT&T). I want to give her my iPhone 4 until she gets her 5. Could I just put her SIM card into the 4 and that's it or do I need to call AT&T to change it over for the few weeks she will have it?

I appreciate the help in advance.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It should work

3. BigRingIt macrumors member

That's what I did when I got the 4s. I gave my 4 to my wife who was using a 3Gs at the time. Just switch her sim card over to the 4 and it will work. Mind you, the 4 uses micro sim, and the 3Gs uses the original size sim. You will have to trim her sim card down to micro size. Just use your micro sim as a template to trace and cut.

4. Purplecks macrumors newbie

The 3gs and the 4 uses different sim cards. You will have to go instore for a device swap if you are not comfortable with a sim trim.

5. Macsimus11 thread starter macrumors member

Hey I really appreciate the quick replies. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with cutting the SIM card myself. If I indeed take them into the store for a device swap, will it affect her contract or anything like that? Like I said, Her iPhone 5 will come in October so it's just temporary.

I just want to make sure that her using the iphone 4 won't mess with anything. Thanks again.

6. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Trimming the sim is very easy, you can find a template online with a quick google search.

When I sold my 4s I borrowed a guys 3gs until the 5 comes and we had to trim the 3gs to fit the 4s and it took a matter of minutes, there are grooves on the sim that you cut. Now trying to fit a micro-sim into a regular sim slot took alot more effort and took me about 30 minutes before I got it to fit and work properly. It is super easy and could save you 25 bucks.

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

no this will not do anything with her upgrade in Oct

8. Macsimus11 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help.

9. maximumsportz macrumors regular

If you go in store to do a device swap, is there fee for this? I want to give my 4 to a 3gs user.

10. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Nope, you should actually be able to just call at&t and have it done i believe

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

A phone call can't solve this issue. A new sim will be needed unless he trims his wife sim.

12. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP, I'll be giving my 4 to my wife. She will get her 5 in February when she's ready for the upgrade from att.

My problem is I want to restore the 4 to remove everything I had in it so she can restore from back up to the phone. Is this possible?? How would it be done?

Thanks

13. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Oh yeah lol. my bad didn't even think of that. :eek:

14. mikalh78 macrumors regular

Go into Settings > General > Reset>Erase All Content and Settings and all of your data will be gone.

I did this with my iP4 and my wife's. I back everything into the cloud.

15. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

This will remove the apps, etc??

16. mikalh78 macrumors regular

Yupp. All apps, settings, notes, photos, everything will be gone. It will go back to factory state.

17. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

You could also order a micro sim card cutter from amazon. I have one and it's pretty sharp and works fairly well. It's pretty hard to screw it up.

18. fins831 macrumors 6502a

If you want a happy wife, you keep the 4 and give her the 5...lol