iPhone 5 Crashing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boldonglen, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Boldonglen macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the new iPhone 5 on the day of release. After connecting to iTunes and syncing all of my music/app's with the new device I get it up and running. It was all working fine for a week or so until it started to freeze every now and then (usually when coming out the message application). What would happen would be the following:

1. I would receive a text message and unlock the phone to read it.
    2. I would read the message and click the home button to exit.
    3. (There are a few different things that would happen here ill post them below)
    3.1. The phone would lock up completely, it would not take me to the home screen and the message would stay on the screen but not let me scroll.
    3.2. The phone would not take me back to the home screen but it would still let me scroll through the message that was on the screen.
    3.3. The phone would go back to the home screen but when trying to swipe across to another page it would either not register or it would go very laggy and freeze with the app's half way across the screen.
    4. If any of the above happened i usually tried to press the power button at the top (not hold it down) to get the phone to lock but this would never happen.
    5. I would have to leave my phone for around a minute before the phone eventually decided to lock and then everything would go back to normal.

As you can imagine this can start to get very frustrating very quick. And because of this I decided to try everything I could think of to fix it, below is a list of things i have done:

1. Turn the phone off and on
    2. Re-sync the phone to iTunes (wireless)
    3. Re-sync the phone to iTunes (by cable)
    4. Restore the phone to factory default (on the phone)
    5. Restore the phone to factory default (using iTunes)
    6. Re-Downloading the latest iOS and restore using that (iOS 6.0.1)

None of the above worked and I am still getting the same problem. This problem is random and can happen at any time. I would also like to point out that this is not happening every time I use my message app I would say around 1 in 5 times it would happen. Also from what I can gather it is only happening when I exit out of my messages app.

Some information on my phone:

Phone: iPhone 5
    Network: 3 (UK)
    Size: 16GB
    Version: 6.0.1 (10A525)
    Model: MD297B

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks,

Boldonglen

2. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

3. Boldonglen thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by hard reset? I think myabe i have worded my previous post incorrectly. I have totally reset/restored the device.

4. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

hold ur power and home button for about 10-15seonds until it shuts down then leave the buttons it should restart

5. pogiboi macrumors regular

Mine is doing the exact same thing yours is. It is getting very annoying. I should be receiving a replacement from Apple today so i'll let you know if it helps any. But I can't help but think this is a software issue and not hardware.

6. tvith macrumors member

mine has been acting up lately as well. 2 days ago I was on the yahoo fantasy app and just randomly booted me out and took me back to the home screen. I had to open the app again. Then yesterday, I was in the txt messaging app and right after I sent the txt it booted me back to the home screen and then I couldn't scroll the screen or anything. It was as if the phone froze. So i locked it and unlocked and everything was fine. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if this becomes worse or if it was just 2 random incidence.

7. Boldonglen thread starter macrumors newbie

Prawnstar69: I have tried this already this solves the problem initially but does it eventually comes back.

pogiboi: Yes please keep me up to date and let me know if this solves the issue. Also did you take it in store or did you phone them? Im not sure what steps to take. I also agree that is sounds like a software issue and not a hardware issue.

tvith: I have noticed that the issue i am having is happening in other apps to (for example safari) so its not just my messaging app. Mine does not boot me out of the application like yours does but thank you for letting me know im not the only one having issues.

Anymore advide would be great?

Boldonglen