iPhone 5 creak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaglad, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jaglad macrumors member

So, I got my iPhone 5 Friday, I have noticed that if you press on the top left front cover it clicks, a bit like it isn't clipped together properly, it barely moves though and having looked at ifixit tear down the screen is only really secured at the bottom.

Does anyone else's phone exhibit this behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Not me. I'd take it in when things are settled down after a few weeks.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Are you talking about the top left of the front glass, next to the earpiece and front camera? Mine is completely solid there, no give at all when I apply pressure.

4. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Mine has a slight rattle when you touch the top of the phone on the back.

5. jaglad thread starter macrumors member

Yep that's where I am talking about. Ah well, shall see how it goes, if it annoys me too much I will exchange it.

6. PerPlekz macrumors member

no give or creak when i apply pressure, but the "rattle" when you tap has always been in iphones, due to the ribbon cables i believe

7. jaglad thread starter macrumors member

Yes not worried about the rattle, I have had every version of the iPhone and they have all done it, just this one doesn't seem as solid as it should.

8. kyledr macrumors newbie

My iPhone5 is also creaky on the top left. I push the glass on the top left, and it makes a noise every time. It's annoying.

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

As has been since the iPhone 3GS, the rattle is due to the auto focus camera lens. it is setup to move freely, hence the "Auto" focus and due to that it has a slight rattle when shook, tapped, or laid down on a hard surface.

10. flashflooder, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

flashflooder macrumors regular

mine 'clicks' when i press on the bottom left of the front panel. It's like the display panel is ever so slightly loose.

This is NOT the same issue as the 'rattle' when you tap the phone,which is normal and has happened since the 4 or 4S (it's the camera's autofocus mechanism, I believe).

Also, there's already a thread about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452796

11. large farva macrumors regular

I just now noticed this issue with my iPhone 5 also. Literally about five minutes ago. I was cleaning the screen of my phone and I noticed as I put a little bit of pressure to get a stubborn bit off it clicked a little bit ever so faintly. So I held the phone up to my ear and applied the slightest amount of pressure with my index finger on the back panel and my thumb on the front, and I could hear a slight clicking or creaking sound. Every single time I pressed for about 6-8 presses, the. It became more faint and eventually did not do it anymore. In my experience when you return or exchange an item over something so petty usually if the item that you get in return has a far worse problem, like for example if I were to exchange this phone I would probably receive one with a battery drain issue or something. This happened to a lot of people on this forum who returned a defective iMac, and in return they received one with even worse problems. So on one hand I am thinking that I am possibly going to wait until this issue becomes so annoying that every time I press my phone to my ear I can hear a clicking sound, but at the same time I am afraid that if I wait for that to happen it will obviously be beyond the 14 day exchange/return period. And they won't do **** for me. At that point I would probably be contacting Apple to do some serious bitching and moaning. Then again you could always do what a lot of people on this forum have already done with their late 2012 iMacs and return it and exchange and return and exchange it and return it and exchange it, until you finally receive a defect free one without any problems, which is the way it should arrive in the first place when you first order it. The fact that anybody has to do this at all is fairly horrible as products should just be made correctly the first time and there should be an adequate amount of QC before the products get shipped out to the market. Then again, you can't catch everything and I'm unsure that they would have technicians pressing on the corners of their iPhones with them up to their ears before shipping them out to consumers. Thankfully I didn't have a single issue with my iMac that I purchased, I guess this is just karma's way of kicking me in my ass for not having any issues with my iMac. Now I must have issues with my iPhone 5. Good luck everyone out there with OCD.