Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Recently noticed my iPhone 5 has started 'creaking' when pushed on the left hand side, I had this with another iPhone on the right hand side but was within the 14 day return period for that one so it was simple enough.

With this one would Apple repair / replace if I sent it in? I have dropped it (not recently) and have a chip on the bottom right corner but this was not the cause of the creaking problem. It's almost as if the glue has become unstuck!

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I worry whenever I read this issue that my days are numbered.

Good news: There's no glue holding your screen it. There are clips that the screen interlocks with to keep it in. I've heard this is an easy fix of just removing the screen and securely closing it back.

Have Apple do it. To the Genius Bar with you!

eddyecb

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Had the same problem with my first iPhone, apple replaced it on the spot at the genius bar so you shouldn't have a problem!

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
It's a design flaw!
I've had 8 iPhone 5's and all of them had the issue. Even if a phone is good in the beginning, it becomes obvious after 2-3 months of use. The degree of this issue varies from phone to phone but they all have it. Sometimes you have press really hard in order to notice it.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It's a design flaw!

In an apple product, never !! lol... Sometimes i think they rush these to market without adequate testing to keep the "secrecy" about the products intact.

I think apple are big enough now, that they should do more product testing, and prevent all these Gen 1 issues of a new product (screen issues on iMacs, PSU failures on time capsules, Antenna Gate, GPU failures, HDD Failures, yellowing screens, etc etc) that have plagued its releases.

Now i realise that some of these issues have been due to Third Parties, but sufficient testing on apples part prior to "going live" with release production could have caught some of these issues.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
In an apple product, never !! lol... Sometimes i think they rush these to market without adequate testing to keep the "secrecy" about the products intact.

I think apple are big enough now, that they should do more product testing, and prevent all these Gen 1 issues of a new product (screen issues on iMacs, PSU failures on time capsules, Antenna Gate, GPU failures, HDD Failures, yellowing screens, etc etc) that have plagued its releases.

Now i realise that some of these issues have been due to Third Parties, but sufficient testing on apples part prior to "going live" with release production could have caught some of these issues.
The more I use Apple products, the more I realize that only they can get away with that: Apple uses its customers as global testers. This story repeats itself every year with every major product of theirs.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The more I use Apple products, the more I realize that only they can get away with that: Apple uses its customers as global testers. This story repeats itself every year with every major product of theirs.

Yup, i will NEVER again buy a 1st gen apple product, il wait for 2nd gen, six months into the cycle

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It's a design flaw!
I've had 8 iPhone 5's and all of them had the issue. Even if a phone is good in the beginning, it becomes obvious after 2-3 months of use. The degree of this issue varies from phone to phone but they all have it. Sometimes you have press really hard in order to notice it.

I call BS or someone has a very big OC problem. Amazing that mine doesn't creak. Anyone who goes through 8 phones has issues.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
It's a design flaw!

Please tell me they didn't swap you out 7 times for a creaking sound lol.

Edit: you got me, 10/10.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

I think you're both wrong. I think that because of Apple's rank and perception, their problems are outed and scrutinized more harshly than other companies. I also think that they have millions and millions of people using their devices (not just phones) so certain issues seem more prominent than other companies when in reality the defect-to-total units ratio is likely not any worse.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I call BS or someone has a very big OC problem. Amazing that mine doesn't creak. Anyone who goes through 8 phones has issues.

OCD like what?

- failed lock button
- faulty wifi
- very obvious interlacing scan-lines
- failed mic
- light leakage coming out of the lock button

...and now I have another one with a dead pixel and an uneven tint.
I'm keeping it due to being OCD...yeah, right....

I never replaced any due the creaking sound....duh!
Have I even mentioned that I replaced the phones due to the issue?!
I'm a developer, so chill....I have multiple phones.

First read/think then speak!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.