iPhone 5 dead pixel - need advice please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Allenbf, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Allenbf macrumors 6502

Here is the situation. I preordered my iPhone 5 and received it on Sept 21 - so I am within my 30 day window of having it. On the left side of the screen, about 25% of the way down, there is a dead pixel. Very obvious on a white screen (like when in Safari).

Here's the other issue, though. The pixel appeared about 3 days ago, then yesterday I dropped my phone and chipped/scuffed 2 corners. I could live with the scuffs honestly, but scuffs AND a dead pixel?

My question, seeing as I am within my 30 day window, and there is a defect (pixel), will Apple replace this? I'm just not sure how they will react to the scuffs, which I will willingly admit was my mistake. But the dead pixel was already there.

What to do??

2. themadrussian macrumors regular

3. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Apple has a no dead pixel policy with their iPhone so they will warranty replace your phone. Assuming you aren't one of those white box phone haters you will be fine after paying a quick visit to your Apple Store.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

I don't get it? When the Apple stores were giving replacement iPhone 4S' out of black boxes, nobody was fussing this much :confused:

5. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what you mean "white box phone hater." What is this?

----------

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to run in either tomorrow night or Friday night. I hope they don't give me any grief about the scuffs, like I said, that was totally my fault. But the pixel was already there.

6. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Just look for a thread talking about replacement phones. They come from a white box and people are making it out to be the worst thing you could possibly ever get.

Side note how bad are you scuffs? Depending on the Genius you get they might make a big stink about the fact that they can't see the "dead pixel" and that you are just trying to return it because it has scuffs. I recommend you try to take a really clear picture of the dead pixel.

7. lawlbringer macrumors regular

He meant if you're one of those people that think the white box/replacement only phones are junk.

They're not, and it's a lot easier to get a new one that way than to wait for a brand new one in box.

8. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, ok. I would assume they are the same? Refurbs, maybe?

----------

Will do. I downloaded an app called "Dead Spotter" that makes it VERY apparent the pixel is dead. It cycles through various screen colors. On the lighter screens, it is very obvious. Just as obvious as seeing it while on Safari, etc.

Side note, I just got off the phone with Apple and they suggested a restore and if that does not fix it, he gave me a case # for the Genius. I did tell him about the self-inflicted damage and he said it will be at their discretion.

THANK YOU everyone, really appreciate all the great replies!

9. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Technological CPR - "canya please replace" hehe...

10. themadrussian macrumors regular

Don't worry about the self-inflicted damage. Just go to the genius bar, tell them you have a dead pixel on your phone, and that it annoys you constantly. Nothing more. They don't care about the cosmetic condition when there is a clear manufacturing defect like a dead pixel.

11. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an appointment tomorrow evening. Thanks again!!

12. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to update the thread. The Apple genius took one look at the dead pixel and brought me out a new phone. I'm all set!!

EDIT: It wasn't a white box, either. Black box, black and slate iPhone 5.

13. themadrussian macrumors regular

Sometimes they are brown boxes. Sometimes they are white. Sometimes black!

14. mebehere macrumors regular

Burn it in hell. It's the only way to know for sure. Godspeed.