iPhone 5 Deal Breaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook123, Sep 13, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I have a 4G LTE Android phone and was thinking of switching to the iPhone 5, but then realized that the tethering app I've been using (FoxFi) doesn't exist for the OS X ecosystem. I use about 1 GB of my unlimited data plan each month for tethered connections while I'm out. These are usually very important connections for me, as I have to quickly access a remote server and change code, compile, and restart it, view a file that doesn't open on the phone, or write a longish email on the laptop and send it. But there's no way I would pay for this given the, literally infinitely, small fraction of my data plan it consumes (and I don't even use 3 GB in an average month).

Is there an alternative that works on non-rooted iPhones?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I have tethering via my Share Everything plan on Verizon.

If you require unlimited data, then it admittedly is not a good solution for you.

3. Cribbing macrumors newbie

As long as tethering is enabled for your carrier of choice, a 3rd party app is not needed. The iOS software supports tethering as is and it is super easy to use. Note that AT&T does not allow tethering on the unlimited data plans. Not sure about the other carriers.

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I've thought about giving up my ATT unlimited plan for their $50/mo 5GB tethering plan. I ended up not doing it but with 15% FAN discount the price comes to $42... more than reasonable for an all in one internet solution if you don't pay for wifi at home.

I didn't do it, just that I've thought about it ;)

5. aohus macrumors 68000

if you have unlimited data, just wait for iOS 6 to be jailbroken and use a 3rd party tethering app from cydia.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Yeah until ATT catches you and changes your plan ;)

[​IMG]

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

For some reason this never, or at least very rarely, happens with Android phones.

9. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

That's weird because on XDA forums you see a ton of threads with people getting caught even after they root and freeze tethering manager, not sure where you are looking at then...

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

On the Verizon unlimited accounts, you can pay an extra fee per month ($20?) which provides an additional 2GB of tethered data and activates iOS's built-in wifi tethering option.

Or, wait until iOS6 is jailbroken.

11. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Tethering is available without having to jailbreak or sign up with a carrier. These guys had an app on the app store for about a week until it was rejected. It now uses HTML5 via Safari for functionality and cost $29 per year.

Tether.com

12. cynics macrumors G3

With iOS tethering apps it use an alternative APN (like how the built in app works) so its very very easy for ATT to see the data. It's like turning on a light.

Android tethering apps don't do this so AT&T would have to scan each individual packet.

I've never had a issue with Android. And almost immediately with a JB 4S.

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for clearing that up. Agrees with what I read and confirms my own experience.

14. iregret macrumors 6502

Would this work to tether to an iPad?

15. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I had horrible experiences with this "solution" and was quite disappointed by their customer service. I think they're pretty much a scam.

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

On Verizon with 4g phones only - verizon cannot stop you from tethering your phone using your existing data plan.

Jul 31, 2012 - 11:45AM PT
    FCC to Verizon: Don’t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M

17. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Verizon's Family Share plans come with tethering. Basically, they don't care anymore since there's a cap. I've got the 6GB plan, and it's been nice thus far.