iPhone 5 Debris Under Cam Lens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christophermc, Sep 22, 2012.

1. christophermc macrumors member

christophermc

I pre ordered my Verizon iPhone 5 from Apple and got it yesterday and I noticed there,s a white particle underneath the camera lens on the back camera. It's pretty noticeable and I find it really annoying.

I just wanted to get some perspective on whether or not its reasonable to call and ask for a new phone for something like that. Would you?

Also would I have to pay another activation fee if I got a replacement from Apple?

2. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

I also have a speck of dust/particle of something underneath the outer camera lens that has been there since I opened it.

3. christophermc thread starter macrumors member

christophermc

To clarify, it's under the sapphire lens cover.

----------

Yea that's what I meant, the outer lens cover is what it's stuck under.

It was there right out of the box I saw it on my first inspection of the phone lol

4. christophermc thread starter macrumors member

christophermc

5. AR15MBP macrumors regular

No it's not unreasonable. No, you shouldn't have an additional fee. Just go and exchange it for a new one.

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Is it affecting your pictures or movies? If not, why bother complain about it, since you may have to wait for a replacement phone.

For me, if it's not negatively affecting me, why bother.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Because it could progressively get worse..
    A new device shouldn't have dust under any portion of the device.

8. steelThread macrumors newbie

Any updates on this? Has anyone gotten a replacement or had Apple fix theirs for this problem? I just found a few dust specks under my lens too. Doesn't seem to effect the camera but it's pretty annoying.

9. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Here's my situation, I have the same spec on my camera lens. I went to apple today to get my speaker checked because of possible sound issues. While there I went ahead and mentioned the dust under my camera lens. She did some some testing with another iphone 5 in the back to see if it was a speaker issue. It turned out the sound issue is normal, which I also assumed might be software related. As far as the camera dust, she did some shots, which I also did, and found that it doesn't affect the photos. She offered to replace the phone in the future if the dust moves and affect the photos. So I went my way without a replacement. Which I don't mind since I don't have the other major issues that other people are experiencing (scuffs, dead pixels, loose buttons, yellow warm screen). I can live with this knowing I have no other issues. I also did some screen quality comparison with some of the models and my phone was brighter and much more vibrant. My point is if it doesn't affect your photos, why bother? Most likely you will risk getting a replacement with other issues experienced by other users. If it ever cause issues later, you have a year to return it easily because of the dust. :eek: So stop worrying about things like this, I was in the same boat with my 4 and 4s. I kept returning trying to find the perfect flawless iphone and in return most will always have some kind of QC issues. Save your time ;).

10. Dirrrty macrumors newbie

I'm glad someone else noticed this. My first iPhone 5 had what appears to be a piece of dust under the lens. I took it to the Apple store and they said it was a scratch on the inside of the lens. I got a new iPhone 5 sent to me and it has the exact same issue. I don't want to be returning these things until I get a good one.

Seems to me should be able to just open up the phone and remove the dust from the lens. But you'd void the warranty probably.

11. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Thats what i mean. You risk getting the same or more problems. Why bother if your photos are not affected?

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Progressively get worse? Is it going to breed dust bunnies, eventually blocking the lens completely?

13. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This.

I have some stuff under my camera lens, but it isn't affecting my pictures. If it does in the future, ill take it in.

14. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Obviously there was either an issue in the production, or any seal on the device isn't completely sealed. So..ya.

15. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

i had mine replaced due to the dust under my camera. I ended up with a much better phone.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It's not very likely that it's not "complelety sealed". Far more likely that a tiny piece of lint fell into the lens before it was sealed. It's not going to "get worse". It is what it is. If it doesn't affect the camera's function, then he can live with it. If it really bugs him, he can return it.

17. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue. Got a chip under the camera lens. Took it to Apple and got a replacement immediately.

18. kalexn macrumors 6502

How can you even tell? I looked at that lens and it is so small I don't think I would be able to see if there was dust under it.

19. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

It will not get worst lol. That's what one year warranty is for if it did.

20. ScottJ macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my AT&T iPhone 5 that I picked up in store on 9/27. After I got it home I noticed a speck beneath the camera lens cover just outside the focal area. I was worried that it could shift over time and took it in a couple of days ago. Rather than replacing the phone, they took it into the back, popped off the case, and removed the particle.

21. robaroo macrumors regular

what this guy said. on my iphone 4s, i had what looked like a styrofoam pad shift between the glas back and the camera lens. the genius took it to the back and brought it back fixed. they ain't going to replace it for this. it's a simple fix and your phone will function just fine once the genius pops the back off and cleans it for you.

i don't know why they take the phones to the back. maybe they have some dust free, static free workspace or something where they disassemble electronics?

22. samsf91 macrumors newbie

i had the same problem and took it in to the apple store and they gave me a replacement unit. it wasn't affecting the camera but just in case it would in the future.