Iphone 5 dilemma- Kind of

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcubed18, May 3, 2013.

1. pcubed18 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I know this is not a big deal but I wanted to ask the question on these boards since people have experience.

I just got an iphone 5 black. Love the phone and my battery life is out of this world, however, I am kind of feeling the white. Truth be told the reason I am feeling the white is because I absolutely hate finger prints all over my screen. Problem is I do not want to return the black for the white and not have the same battery life.

So my question is can I go buy the white and use it for a few days see how the battery is and then decide which one to return?

I am still within my the return period since I bought my black one last week.

I know it may be a silly question to some but thanks for anyone who can help out

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can see fingerprints on my white iPhone 5 as well.

The only solution that I have is to use an antiglare screen protector. One of the newer ones (i.e.: SGP or Belkin) you can't really see the rainbow effect.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So don't get a touchscreen smartphone? Fingerprints on the screen is inevitable.

As for your other point, as long you return the iPhone within the return period, I don't see why you couldn't get white one and compare them side by side.

4. pcubed18 thread starter macrumors regular

First, thank you for the response. So even the white one is just as bad ?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the beginning, no.

After some use where the oleophobic coating has worn off? Yes, mine has a lot of fingerprints on it, I can see them, and they don't wipe off easily.

Also I have both.

6. pcubed18 thread starter macrumors regular

Well thank you for the advice. Scuffing not as much an issue anymore? Like others I am also a little worried that it will look awful and the white one won't. I do take care of my things.

7. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

It's refreshing to see this kind of post instead of hearing people trying to scam a different color from Apple cause of a change of mind.

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

How long did it take for your iphone 5 coating to wipe off on the screen? I do not use a SP.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In going to go against the grain here and say that the white phone is much harder to see fingerprints on than the black is. But only really when talking about the back and the white parts of the glass on the front. Obviously when the screen is off, it's just as black as the black phone.

To answer your question, yes you can return the phone as
    Long as you have a receipt and there is no damage. I say do it. It will give you peace of mind either way. You either take the white one back thinking "boy was that a silly thing to do" or you take the black on back thinking "boy am I happy I did that". It's that simple.

As a bit of a side note, if you're worried about the oleophobic coating wearing off (I don't know that I buy that it wears off just from normal use), look into the glass.tr screen cover. It's a superb screen cover and the coating is of higher quality than what comes in the iPhone in the first place.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your answer is covered in the first part of this statement.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Ask if they can set aside your black iPhone 5 if you decide to switch back.

12. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Iphone 5 dilemma- Kind of

In my mall right outside the apple store there is a place called Ghost Armor. The put on the front and back protectors with lifetime warranty. Now i dont get any more fingerprints and they have a premium feel to them.

13. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I changed from the black to the white because of scuffing and I wish I hadn't, I prefer the look of the black iPhone. I'd go and buy one of the skins you can get for the iPhone to protect it.

14. pcubed18 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the amazing feedback. I went and bought a white one and you know what as much as I thought the lack of finger prints etc would get my attention I just realized I love the black one a lot.

I want to use it naked but I think I might cop a incase snap pro black on black so I have some protection but its still pretty minimal.

appreciate the kind response and advice

15. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Better put a case on because, sometimes the phone just slips from the hand :D;)